Bad battery?

13 replies to this topic
  • Pluto67

Posted May 14, 2008 - 05:19 PM

'08 WR450. I'm killin the battery with just a couple starts. even at the dealer when I checked it out they had to charge up the battery after a couple starts. I fully charged it the other day and got just a couple starts out of it before it gets really weak. At this point, I much prefer to kick it. starts up with just one or two kicks, nice and easy. I just don't want to be stuck on the side of a hill where the e-start would be real handy and have it fail.
I'm charging right now at a low 2 amp rate. The meter says 'full charge' but then after 3 seconds drops low and pops back up to full. (??) seems like the battery is just failing to hold a charge. should I just bring the battery in? Any better battery options that have a little more cranking power?

• OGG

Posted May 14, 2008 - 05:34 PM

The Battery Should be Under warranty yet. Don't get a cheap battery, been there done that. Get something good., should hold charge for at least a week or better. My first battery lasted 2-1/2 yrs off and on usage without outside charging.

• ETP

Posted May 14, 2008 - 07:21 PM

'08 WR450. I'm killin the battery with just a couple starts. even at the dealer when I checked it out they had to charge up the battery after a couple starts. I fully charged it the other day and got just a couple starts out of it before it gets really weak. At this point, I much prefer to kick it. starts up with just one or two kicks, nice and easy. I just don't want to be stuck on the side of a hill where the e-start would be real handy and have it fail.
I'm charging right now at a low 2 amp rate. The meter says 'full charge' but then after 3 seconds drops low and pops back up to full. (??) seems like the battery is just failing to hold a charge. should I just bring the battery in? Any better battery options that have a little more cranking power?

If your battery and charging system are working properly, then the following may be happening.
The battery and the charging system on the WR are sized for light weight. There isn't much reserve power like a car. My experience has been that once started, if you ride around for an hour or so, the battery is good to go the rest of the day. Assuming you ride (charge) after every start.
So, at first, if you run the starter for several seconds to start the bike then shut it off, then start again, the battery will get weak.
Best to get a Battery Tender and charge the battery for a day or so before riding day. I never pay attention to the indicator light on the Tender. It turns green long before the battery is totally topped off. Meters on the cheaper chargers will taper off before the battery is fully charged too.

• William1

Posted May 14, 2008 - 08:30 PM

It is very common for a dealer to uncrate a bike, activate the battery and maybe even not give it an inital charge (very important for longevity). You bike may of sat on the dealer floor with a poorly prepped battery, causing an early demise. My WR will crank for a long time before the battery even seems the least bit affected.

• wartsnuff

Posted May 15, 2008 - 07:30 AM

my 08 batterys can crank and crank my bike..

when i first got it, i flooded the crap otta of the bike...

and the battery survived very nicley... the bike even charged the battery for me.

cheers
Warts

• ETP

Posted May 15, 2008 - 09:03 AM

my 08 batterys can crank and crank my bike..

when i first got it, i flooded the crap otta of the bike...

and the battery survived very nicley... the bike even charged the battery for me.

cheers
Warts

When mine was brand new it also had more cranking energy, but within the first year it tapered off some in available power. Going on 4 years now, and I'm still fine because my jetting is dialed in and I start the riding day with a fully charged battery.

• mikeythefokker

Posted May 15, 2008 - 09:08 AM

I have an 07 and so does my friend and he had this same problem, while my bike did not. In he went through 3 batteries, only to figure out that it was the starter that was the problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Blue32

Posted May 16, 2008 - 01:00 PM

I am having the same problem with my '06 wr450. I keep the battery on a tender while in the garage during the week and ride on the weekends. I've had the battery tested and it is supposedly good. I always kick start it when it's cold, but I would like to be able to use the electric start after I've been riding for a while. Especially, after getting stuck half way up a hill. :thumbsup: My bike is at the shop now for a more thorough diagnosis. I'll let you know what they tell me.

• Blue32

Posted May 18, 2008 - 07:08 PM

According to the guy at the shop it was the battery. While the battery tests fine on my charger/tester it did not pass the test while under load. We'll see if that fixes it on Tuesday.

• bil2303

Posted May 18, 2008 - 07:16 PM

Are you using a charger made for motorcycle batteries ?

• Pluto67

Posted May 18, 2008 - 07:27 PM

I'm hoping its just my battery too. I've gotta bring it in next week also to get the stator mod for the Baja designs 'street legal' kit. I'll see what they say.

• Pluto67

Posted May 18, 2008 - 07:28 PM

I've got a charger that can be set for smaller batteries like a motorcycle or mower.

• wr_matt

Posted May 18, 2008 - 07:46 PM

Make sure your stator is charging the battery properly, and keep the ignition circuit is off when your not riding.

I keep my '07 on a battery tender it makes a big difference. :thumbsup:

• Blue32

Posted May 19, 2008 - 09:00 PM

I have a tester/charger for motorcycle batteries. It supposedly checks the battery every 30 minutes to make sure it's holding a charge. It has always tested good. The guy at the shop said the battery has the volts, but not enough power when you are cranking it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.