Bent fork tube

7 replies to this topic
  • wedge450

Posted May 14, 2008 - 10:54 AM

ok, so i crashed and bent my fork tube on my 06 450f, i have been looking on ebay for new forks and can't realy find much, i was thinking about going aftermarket but can't find to much. i did find some older ones off like an 03, and i also found some pro circuit ones off a cr250, if it fits in the clamp and axle how well would it handle with different forks?

• grayracer513

Posted May 14, 2008 - 11:28 AM

The upper tube is $315, either lower is $210. (at TT OEM )

Don't screw up the bike by putting some other fork on it. You'll have wheel fit problems and suspension issues from then on.

BTW, how do you know the fork tube is actually bent?

• wedge450

Posted May 14, 2008 - 11:48 AM

well at first i thought it was my bars cuz the felt wrong when i was riding, then i looked at my crowns and they weren't straight when riding too, so i looked at my forks from the side and they dont line up.

• grayracer513

Posted May 14, 2008 - 12:05 PM

Try this first:

Loosen the lower triple clamp pinch bolts at the fork tubes. Leave the upper pinch bolts tight. Put the front wheel up against a solid object, such as a door sill, phone pole, or tree, and push it back to a centered position by turning the bars into it. If the fork is really bent, this will be hard to do, and it won't want to stay there. In most cases, it will only have been twisted off line in the clamps, and will return to center easily, and stay there. Tighten the pinch bolts to 14-15 ft/lb, and go ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clutchless

Posted May 14, 2008 - 01:21 PM

Try this first:

Loosen the lower triple clamp pinch bolts at the fork tubes. Leave the upper pinch bolts tight. Put the front wheel up against a solid object, such as a door sill, phone pole, or tree, and push it back to a centered position by turning the bars into it. If the fork is really bent, this will be hard to do, and it won't want to stay there. In most cases, it will only have been twisted off line in the clamps, and will return to center easily, and stay there. Tighten the pinch bolts to 14-15 ft/lb, and go ride.

you may think that your clamps are too loose but is better to have your front tire go a little cockeyed then crush your fork tube. the torque settings are righ so don't over tighten.

i have this problem all the time with my 07. drop the bike stalling in a burm. feels like your bars are bent.

• usmcpaul

Posted May 15, 2008 - 10:18 AM

Yea, I wadded it up this past weekend coming off a double sideways. Anyway, painful story short; wheel was off center by about 4", so I loosened all the pinch bolts and the axle pinch bolts. Not too loose, but loose enough (kind of hard to explain). I then straightened it the best I could by hand and then I then spun the wheel hard and applied the front brake abruptly. I did this a few times and then retorqued everything.

Worked great, my bars are still off a little, but I think I need to check the rubber mounts on my triple.

I think it is pretty hard to bend those tubes, so you may want to try the other stuff first.

• wedge450

Posted May 15, 2008 - 09:14 PM

ok, thanks guys, i did what grayracer said and it worked, but i was still leaking fork oil, so i took it apart and i had flat spot in were the seal sat in the upper tube, so i put it back to round and it works great, thanks guys!

• adamdf

Posted May 16, 2008 - 12:09 PM

Wow, this thread is a perfect example of why this forum is EXCELLENT! Good job once again guys.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.