wr450 supermoto or drz 400 sm?

17 replies to this topic
  • timfearless

Posted May 14, 2008 - 10:36 AM

hi i am just looking to buy a bigger bore bike, really like the wr450 and hear a lot of good things about them, can find a 2005 road legal one and was going to do a supermoto conversion on it. was just wondering abour the reliability for road use, as i would be using it on roads a lot, for weekend trips and such. is it a lot of work on maintenance oil changes, filter changes etc, approx how often do you have to do that stuff on the wr450? has anyone running a supermoto wr 450 and find it reliable? a friend has a drz 400 had it almost 2 years hasnt had a problem with it but i dont like it as much, the wr450 is good enough on performance for me i was just wondeing if its worth getting one, as i dont know if will be a lot of work keep it going. thanks for your help i know its an annoying type of thread

• WR450SM

Posted May 14, 2008 - 01:04 PM

WR's are great SM bikes. The oil change interval is a bit more often than the drz, but that is about it. I change mine every 600 miles.

Gear it properly for the type of riding you do and you will love it.

• Wilma397

Posted May 14, 2008 - 01:27 PM

I'd definatley go with the wr, 100% I've just sold my DRZ and im about to buy a wr supermoto. Don't get me wrong the DRZ is a great bike and they last forever but for constant road use mine was just too slow and slugish for me. I tried out a uncorked wr and WOW what a difference!!! The oil changes are a little more often but it's definatley worth it. I can't wait untill i get my new bike :rolleyes: You get so much more bike for your money with the wr. WR 450 all the way, you won't regret it :thumbsup:

• dugabrams

Posted May 14, 2008 - 03:02 PM

As a previous owner of a DRZ-s and current owner of a WR450 dual sport I can tell you there is a big difference in HP and the Yammi is almost as streetable as the DRZ. Handling on the street is about the same but in the dirt, no comparison.

• Alternative

Posted May 15, 2008 - 01:51 AM

+1 for the WR. I've had my 426 for over a year and love it on the roads in supermoto trim. Oil changes aren't that bad and when kept maintained the engines last forever.

• jpryce

Posted May 15, 2008 - 06:26 AM

I run a supermoto setup on my '03 and ride with a guy with a similiar setup on his E model DRZ. Hands down, the DRZ is more civilized and comfortable on the street, but the WR is much more fun with the power and handling advantage.

• poser493

Posted November 18, 2008 - 12:08 PM

not to bump an old thread but I too am tossing up between the DRZ and WR.
I don't mind the more frequent oil changes, but how much oil does it take?
rotella synthetic isn't very expensive for a gallon jug.

also the 426 being kickstart, are there any issues with using a DS kit like the baja designs one?

• brad the best

Posted November 18, 2008 - 07:20 PM

takes a little more then a litre per change . i didn't know rotella made a motorcycle specific oil .

i run a semi synthetic in mine , its like 40-50 $ a jug . pretty cheap compared to my aprillia at 20$ a liter . but really who cares oil is the cheapest maintenance you can do along with cleaning the air filter .

• poser493

Posted November 19, 2008 - 06:08 AM

well rotella doesn't make motorcycle specific oil, but their many bokers (myself included) have had great luck running it. I run it in my SV650S for street and track day use, I know guys that run it in their race/track sport bikes and I've read about people using it in dirt bikes.
at Wal-Mart its about $20 for a gallon jug (almost 4 liters)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • face_plant

Posted November 19, 2008 - 09:56 AM

+1 on the wr
i got an 05 with 12k miles on her, my buddy has a drz and when he took my bike for a ride his eyes were the size of baseballs

• stev0

Posted November 19, 2008 - 10:50 AM

maint is really not that bad. I was being carefull and serviced mine in 300mile intervals for the first 1500 miles. Ive not switched over to 600miles since i dont race the bike and use it mainly for slow techincal dualsport rides.

it only takes about a litre and a bit. The DRZ takes more then double that and i would imagine the service intervals being around 2000miles.

So 1liter oil per 600miles is about the same cost as 3 liter oil per 2000miles.

I think i have a point here somewhere?

• poser493

Posted November 19, 2008 - 11:05 AM

maint is really not that bad. I was being carefull and serviced mine in 300mile intervals for the first 1500 miles. Ive not switched over to 600miles since i dont race the bike and use it mainly for slow techincal dualsport rides.

it only takes about a litre and a bit. The DRZ takes more then double that and i would imagine the service intervals being around 2000miles.

So 1liter oil per 600miles is about the same cost as 3 liter oil per 2000miles.

I think i have a point here somewhere?

that's a good point, I remember reading that some guys don't change the filter but every other or every third oil change. so the maintenance cost isn't much different, just time.

I don't mind doing oild changes, they don't take long

• Mr-Brightside

Posted April 24, 2009 - 03:51 AM

There is not even any competetiopn here.. The DRZ is Super SLOW and heavy as fook....The WR would pee all over a DRZ no problem

• C-P

Posted April 28, 2009 - 05:45 PM

Check this out, and the DR-Z won't even be in consideration:

• kccrippin

Posted April 07, 2015 - 11:33 AM

Okay so are you guys comparing stock to stock? I have a 09 drz400sm with an MRD pipe and a 39mm carb. The cost of an oil change and how often means nothing to me... What I want to know is How easy is the supermoto conversion on the wr ? and Is it worth the time and money of putting the supermoto conversion and Maybe a rejet or new carb and an exhaust on the wr? Compared to just buying the drz sm and upgrading parts?

Thanks in advance

• stevethe

Posted April 07, 2015 - 01:00 PM

Okay so are you guys comparing stock to stock? I have a 09 drz400sm with an MRD pipe and a 39mm carb. The cost of an oil change and how often means nothing to me... What I want to know is How easy is the supermoto conversion on the wr ? and Is it worth the time and money of putting the supermoto conversion and Maybe a rejet or new carb and an exhaust on the wr? Compared to just buying the drz sm and upgrading parts?
Thanks in advance

Hum old thread but you found it.
If was me and I wanted a much faster lighter bike than the DRZ. I would and did pick a 08' WR450. Remember you have to get it plated, dual sport kit, wheels and tires.

• Derwud

Posted April 07, 2015 - 06:53 PM

Sold my '07 DRZ-400 for a '07 WR250F, The WR seems faster, and easier to ride!!

• Rob28x

Posted April 09, 2015 - 04:56 AM

I had a 2004 DR-Z 400 S model for a short while. Now I have my 2001 WR. No comparison. I ride mostly trail and the DR-Z sucked off-road in comparison. The power and suspension of the WR is worlds above the DR-Z. 

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.