How to change fork oil in an 07' wr450?

3 replies to this topic
  • atitagain

Posted May 14, 2008 - 07:55 AM

I posted this question in the suspension forum and not much help there other than "take it to a shop...you can damage things". :thumbsup: I have read the manual and it is not very clear what all needs to be disassembled to just change the oil...unless I have to take it ALL apart to do it. I have done all of the work on the bike so-far which includes checking the valves and I am not going to take it to a shop to have them work on my forks. Does anyone know the steps needed and any tips or tricks to do this minor job? Thanks in advance for any and all responses. :rolleyes:

• drtbk4ever

Posted May 14, 2008 - 08:23 AM

I posted this question in the suspension forum and not much help there other than "take it to a shop...you can damage things". :thumbsup: I have read the manual and it is not very clear what all needs to be disassembled to just change the oil...unless I have to take it ALL apart to do it. I have done all of the work on the bike so-far which includes checking the valves and I am not going to take it to a shop to have them work on my forks. Does anyone know the steps needed and any tips or tricks to do this minor job? Thanks in advance for any and all responses. :rolleyes:

Here is a link to a forum where the guy does a step by step (with photos) on how to change your fork seals. All the information you need to just change the oil is in there.

http://www.dirtbikew...ead.php?t=16751

Cheers.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stoy66

Posted May 14, 2008 - 12:57 PM

Go to www.rockymountainatv.com then on the right side of the page click on "instructional and offroad videos." Look for the fork seal replacement on the cartridge forks. It will show you what to do. Then you'll understand the manual. Thats how I did mine.

• jandmsuburban7

Posted May 16, 2008 - 12:38 PM

That is a great dexription on how to do it. Just remember to keep your area clean and dont scratch anything that shouldnt be scratched and be carefull to put plastic seranwrap (however you spell it) or something over the top when putting the seal on and then use very good quality racing fork oil. I used yamaha's and also used Maxima. You couldnt pay me to put the Yamaha fork oil back in there again after using the Maxima Fork oil. Also, If you are occasionally bottoming out with your front forks add a little more- I think I added about 25 cc more and now when I hit the big jump I dont bottom out and I still get the plush ride over trails that I want without changing my compression and dampening (when I changed my copression for jumping my trail riding was very compromised and I didnt like it). Jason

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.