will 06 yz125 forks fit a 04 yz450f?

12 replies to this topic
  • milomilo

Posted May 13, 2008 - 11:16 AM

could i switch these forks? or will i need to switch wheels too???

• grayracer513

Posted May 13, 2008 - 11:27 AM

The wheel will fit. You will need to get a longer steering stem, though, and Yamaha does not sell them separate from the clamp. Applied Racing does, however, for about $50. Order one for an '06 YZ450. The one for a 125 is 12mm shorter.

You could simply use the '04 clamps, but then you would need to shorten the spacer on the brake side of the wheel by 1mm in order to get it to center up correctly. You choose.

The springs will be completely wrong for the application, of course, so plan on having that attended to. Oddly, Yamaha lists the same rebound and compression valve assemblies for both the 125 and 450, so that should actually be workable.

• milomilo

Posted May 13, 2008 - 11:37 AM

so even if i just take the forks out of the tripple and just switch fork legs the tripple will need to be changed?

• milomilo

Posted May 13, 2008 - 11:40 AM

and what if i change the tire, brake caliber and both forks.. would i still need to mess with the tripple and stem? thanks

• grayracer513

Posted May 13, 2008 - 11:44 AM

No, what I said about that was:

You could simply use the '04 clamps, but then you would need to shorten the spacer on the brake side of the wheel by 1mm in order to get it to center up correctly. You choose..

The '06 clamps are 2mm wider, but they are made to fit all of the same wheels and wheel hardware. To accomplish this, The axle lugs and brake mounts were moved inboard 1mm on each side. If you use the '06 forks in your current clamps, the wheel will be offset 1mm off center to the left unless you have the spacer on the right side shortened by that amount.

• milomilo

Posted May 13, 2008 - 11:49 AM

ok, so if i use my 06 125 forks, wheel and spacers and swap it to my 04 450 it will work? or what will i need to do to the steering stem??? anything or just slide up the forks, tighten them and pop wheel on and ride?
i have a 04 450 and 06 125 but wanted to swap forks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 13, 2008 - 11:59 AM

OK, let me try this once more.

There are two ways you can do this:

1> Buy a new '06 YZ450 steering stem from Applied, press it into the '06 YZ125 clamps, and bolt it on. Be sure to make any necessary modifications to the steering stops.

OR,

2> Install the YZ125 fork tube assemblies in your '04 clamps, take the right side wheel spacer to a machine shop and have them shorten it on either end by 1 mm, and bolt it up.

You will HAVE TO change the front springs no matter which way you go with it, because your bike is about 50-60 pounds heavier than the 125.

• milomilo

Posted May 13, 2008 - 12:08 PM

OK, let me try this once more.

There are two ways you can do this:

1> Buy a new '06 YZ450 steering stem from Applied, press it into the '06 YZ125 clamps, and bolt it on. Be sure to make any necessary modifications to the steering stops.

OR,

2> Install the YZ125 fork tube assemblies in your '04 clamps, take the right side wheel spacer to a machine shop and have them shorten it on either end by 1 mm, and bolt it up.

You will HAVE TO change the front springs no matter which way you go with it, because your bike is about 50-60 pounds heavier than the 125.

sorry, im still lost lol.
let me start over....
if i take my 2006 yz125 forks out of the tripple clamp with whole wheel and brake caliber all still on the forks and i take my 2004 yz450f forks out of the tripples with wheel and brake caliber on them can i just slide the 2006 yz125 forks into the 2004 yz450f tripples and will my 450f forks just slide into my 06 yz125??????
im not getting why i need to change anything with the steering stem if i just switch the forks. when you wrote back it said or so im not sure what your saying..

• milomilo

Posted May 13, 2008 - 12:11 PM

and the springs in the 06 forks are changed already, thats why i want to switch them.

• milomilo

Posted May 13, 2008 - 12:18 PM

one more thing.. sorry to be a pest. i own both bikes but just want to switch forks. i will swap wheels, spacers, brake caliber.
all i want to do it unbolt the 4 bolts that hold the forks in the tripple and the brake line and swap them wheels and all

• milomilo

Posted May 13, 2008 - 12:49 PM

forget it i thing i figured it out and why they will fit but not really. if top is wider and i swap everything they will be off.

• grayracer513

Posted May 13, 2008 - 12:54 PM

one more thing.. sorry to be a pest. i own both bikes but just want to switch forks. i will swap wheels, spacers, brake caliber.
all i want to do it unbolt the 4 bolts that hold the forks in the tripple and the brake line and swap them wheels and all

I understand that perfectly.

The wheels, axles, spacers, etc., on both bikes are identically the same.

The brake caliper should also unbolt off of the fork at the two large bolts and simply bolt onto the other fork, so you can leave the entire brake system on the bike it is currently on, or transfer the entire brake system from one bike to the other. It makes no difference.

The '06 triple clamp is 2mm wider between tubes than the '04 is, but both bikes take the same exact wheel. The difference is at the bottom of the forks. Both sets of fork tubes will slide directly into the clamps on the other bike, but when you do it this way, the wheels will be offset 1mm from center.

It will make no difference whatsoever to swap spacers or axles or anything else from one bike to the other because they are exactly, identically the same. The only way to correct this when mixing these forks with these triples is to make the right side spacer on the 450 1mm shorter, and the right side spacer on the 125 1mm longer, or to re-center the wheels with the spokes.

• milomilo

Posted May 13, 2008 - 03:47 PM

yes, i figured it out. thanks for all your help.. i need it lol...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.