WTH is MXA's problem with Yamaha Chassis?

41 replies to this topic
  • MotoGoalie

Posted May 12, 2008 - 06:08 AM

I just read that goofy article in MXA june issue about trying to fix the YZ/WR turning problem.

What problem?

WTH is going on at Hi torque? Dirt Bike magazine has never mentioned this problem and MXA goes on and on like the bike doesnt turn at all. Is that how they keep yamaha happy, by talking out of thier ass and thier mouth or is there a real bias on the bikes handling traits?

I know that the bike likes to steer with some rear wheel bias and it definately likes you to ride way up forward on the tank when carving hard turns but ....so what. It's rock solid stable offroad and has really really neutral handling in rough crap. I ride tight trees and marshy areas at times and the bike really turns perfectly for me.

Which is what i WANT.

I've got no problem making the thing turn and thats with the old steel frame.:thumbsup: It's not a honda or suzuki, adapt to the bike and it works fine.

• grayracer513

Posted May 12, 2008 - 06:15 AM

They do seem a bit fixated with it all, don't they?

• Pappy141

Posted May 12, 2008 - 06:38 AM

Keeping Yamaha happy is and should be the furthest thing on their mind. Before I purchase, I want the facts on all the bikes so that I can make an informed choice. I'm coming off a 07 Honda CRF, and yes my 08 Yam 450 does have a push.

• westin

Posted May 12, 2008 - 06:50 AM

Could the push be attributed to tire selection and psi and suspension set up? Not saying you don't have those bases covered; mainly speaking from a general point of view.

• bleetham

Posted May 12, 2008 - 08:52 AM

There is a push, but you can compensate for it with adjustments in riding position and by anticipating the push. Properly weighting the outside peg, getting your body up on the gas tank and keeping elbows up (along with proper bike setup and tire selection) really minimizes or eliminates the issue. I've been racing my 2006 for two years and turning is not an issue. The chassis is so outstanding in so many other ways that this slight tendancy to push is not worth making such a big deal about. These bikes are so stable on a rough track, the suspension is fantastic and they jump so well and feel so light that worrying about a problem like MXA does borders on some type of phobia or fixation. I don't know if you guys are noticing, but at the races I go to there are a lot of "bad" handling Yamahas winning the races. Pro and amatuer levels alike.

• todds924

Posted May 12, 2008 - 08:56 AM

They do seem a bit fixated with it all, don't they?

How can you listen to a magazine? I remember a few years ago when Kawasaki and Suzuki were in bed together.....MXA rated the suzuki RMZ 250 first and the Kawi kx 250 f last....they were the same exact BIKE! Maybe Suzuki paid them more money?????????

• Wiz636

Posted May 12, 2008 - 08:59 AM

I don't know if you guys are noticing, but at the races I go to there are a lot of "bad" handling Yamahas winning the races. Pro and amatuer levels alike.

I'm not really into the MX scene too much but I can tell you around here in the offroad world there is a whole lotta 'bad handling' blue bikes bringing home the bacon. It's kind of funny in the way that orange bikes make up about 75% of the offroad pit areas but the leader board is about 90% Yamaha. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted May 12, 2008 - 09:00 AM

How can you listen to a magazine?

I look at what they say about things I know about, use that to think about and evaluate what they say about things I haven't heard of, and take their opinions for what they're worth. :thumbsup:

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 12, 2008 - 09:52 AM

I'm not really into the MX scene too much but I can tell you around here in the offroad world there is a whole lotta 'bad handling' blue bikes bringing home the bacon. It's kind of funny in the way that orange bikes make up about 75% of the offroad pit areas but the leader board is about 90% Yamaha. :thumbsup:

TRU DAT :rolleyes:

Pumpkin Eaters Unite :rolleyes:

• William1

Posted May 12, 2008 - 09:56 AM

Keep in mind, it is a magazine. The people that write it are primarily writers, not racers or chassis experts. If there were, they would not be writing

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 12, 2008 - 10:21 AM

The people that write it are primarily writers, not racers or chassis experts.

Actually, this is not the case with MXA. Most of the members of the test crew are reputable vet racers. Jody Weisel himself is a former pro MX'er, a long time pro test rider, and a current evry week racer. Whether you want to consider him a chassis expert is open to discussion, but all of the guys on that staff have quite a bit of seat time behind them.

Regardless of that, I stand by my position on their take on the YZF.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 12, 2008 - 10:59 AM

It is all a ploy to get more people(new subscribers) to see what the 09 yami should be more like and addressed to yami to try something different......
I just read the article. All of the changes, sawing rewelding etc....blah blah blah..more offsets...never seemed to fix anything.....thankgod for the AF500 article - it was weak also but more interesting to say the least.......
MXA sux as a mag. They are really reaching for more interesting articles which as this one does....fails bigtime :thumbsup:

• Lowedog

Posted May 12, 2008 - 11:11 AM

I stopped buying magazines years ago. I still thumb through them now and then but don't waste my money on them anymore. The mags contradict themselves from one issue to the next. When Yamaha came out with the aluminum frame on the YZ in 2006 they touted over the handling of it and now it doesn't turn? :thumbsup: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If it was orange or red it would be the best bike ever made!

-Lowedog

• MotoGoalie

Posted May 12, 2008 - 11:11 AM

If you ride a Yamaha like you ride a Honda...it will push and understeer. That's a fact. I've experienced that with my WR and that's the old steel frame.

If you ride up on the tank and work your throttle like you are supposed to ....it steers fine. Pefectly even.

I just dont get how to magazines from the same publisher have totally different biases. My pet theory is that Hi Torque uses one magazine to offset the others negative commentary.

• wheeldude

Posted May 12, 2008 - 02:23 PM

I have an 07 YZ450F, and have found that a good front tire ( I run 756's) and correctly set up forks made all the difference in the world on cornering speed and feel. It may not be as nimble feeling as the Honda, but the suspension is worlds better, not to mention the famed Yamaha reliability. They rock. WD

• The Italian Stallion

Posted May 12, 2008 - 05:46 PM

Want to laugh,go to there website and look in the top ten stories section and you will find ther test on the 06YZ450.Print it out and put it beside the artical in this months MXA.It took 2 yrs for MXA to say anything bad about the bike.Oh they said "the low bars give it a stinkbug feel in the turns' and they gave it 450 of the year in the same issue.I am used to my bike now but it took a little bit of R&D to get it to were it is OK.But I still love the bike for its other qualitys{i'm not going to list what is already known] ...I rode a brand new 07CRF450 the other day at the track after the whole day on my bike.It had the suspension set up for a 200lbs guy wich is what I am ...anyway it felt like crap compared to my YZ {wich is stock].The power was great down low on the CRF but it ran out very quickly I was a little surprised I was wanting more than it could give me.I have never felt this on a 450 before,older crfs included.The YZ smokes it mid on up[the DR D helps:busted:] But that danm Honda did turn nice

• hillclimbguy

Posted May 12, 2008 - 08:30 PM

Keep in mind, it is a magazine. The people that write it are primarily writers, not racers or chassis experts. If there were, they would not be writing

I like the sound of that. Man you hit the nail right on the head. I could'nt of said it any better.:thumbsup:

• sparkyz

Posted May 12, 2008 - 09:01 PM

I've got to say that after riding my brothers CRF I was seriously considering selling my YZ to get one. I'm not talking about the current bikes we both have 03 450's. I took my brothers bike out on the track without setting sag or anything for me and the handling was far superior to my bike. Even though the power on his bike felt nowhere near as strong as my Yamaha, racing motocross it's really about how fast you are in the turns, and the CRF just made things easy.

I think I cured my problem though. I put a storm link on my bike and that put it on par with the Honda. First race with no practice with the new link and I went from my usual midpack finish to a very comfortable 2nd place finish...

I just have to say that I think because they are testing the bikes in terms of their capabilities on an MX track specifically that they are correct to put a large bias towards the handling capabilities of the bikes.

• rickallen124

Posted May 12, 2008 - 09:25 PM

They are going on about the handling because outside of the stock muffler there isn't anything to complain about. My opinion, all of the bikes are really good and the yamaha has the best overall package once you ditch the muffler.

• RCannon

Posted May 13, 2008 - 04:17 AM

I wonder how much of that article is based on selling magazines. It is a good article that is interesting.

Did you notice the pieces on that bike from Chad Reeds bike?? I wondered if L and M racing was not partially behind the project.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.