Flywheel Weight, Sprockets, or Both

13 replies to this topic
  • Coastie3202

Posted May 12, 2008 - 04:59 AM

In an effort to make the YZ 450F more friendly for the woods should I go with a flywheel weight, new counter and main sprockets, or both? I am looking for the most economical way to go and so far the flywheel weight looks like the way.

Your opinions are appreciated.

• grayracer513

Posted May 12, 2008 - 06:30 AM

The flywheel weight helps a lot.

• MrTVDNR

Posted May 12, 2008 - 06:52 AM

I did the flywheel with +12, FMF pipe, JD jetting kit and went up in one tooth in the rear sprocket on my YZ426. The thing is, the fly wheel helped in my stalling at slow speeds and low RPM's, but the jetting and rear sprocket added more response and quickness on the throttle.

• WB450

Posted May 12, 2008 - 08:15 AM

I did both, Heavy GYTR flywheel, and 52T rear.

• KAS

Posted May 12, 2008 - 08:49 AM

The flywheel is a must-have for woods riding.

After that you can fiddle with the gearing to find what suits you best.

• OldenPhatt

Posted May 12, 2008 - 02:18 PM

Neither one will help anywhere near as much as a Rekluse auto clutch. I have a 02 426 and I added two teeth in the rear and a 9 oz flywheel weight and while it helped make it more tractable, the Rekluse totally transformed my bike.

• Wiz636

Posted May 12, 2008 - 02:37 PM

Assuming that you currently have stock gearing (or something very close to it) then you will realize the most benefit from the flywheel weight.

If you bought the bike used and the previous owner had it geared really tall then you should get the sprockets back to a close-to-stock configuration.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tnl

Posted May 12, 2008 - 02:59 PM

I am looking for the most economical way to go and so far the flywheel weight looks like the way.

Your opinions are appreciated.

A drive sprocket is cheaper but the F.W.W. is the best or both if you can afford it.

• 642MX

Posted May 12, 2008 - 07:20 PM

Neither one will help anywhere near as much as a Rekluse auto clutch.

+1 Nothing makes a YZF more woods friendly than a Rekluse. They are not cheap, but they are worth every penny. If you decide to get one, get the 'Pro' version, its a lot better than the old style (I've had both). :thumbsup:

• frankycottonrow

Posted May 12, 2008 - 07:21 PM

The flywheel weight is the only way to go, actually both will help, thats what I did. 10 oz GYTR offroad flywheel, 51 tooth back sprocket, and some octane booster and she is perfect for the off road, add a skid and some hand quards and its safer. The YZ is an awesome off-road bikeif you put a little $$ into it to start with.

• Coastie3202

Posted May 13, 2008 - 04:25 AM

Thanks for advise everyone. I am going to go with the GYTR 10oz flywheel and a 51 tooth on the rear.

After that will come a skid plate (recommendations appreciated) and a 2.6 gal. Clark tank, then rad guards.

Now I only have to wait for them to open the forest back up. They closed it due to drought conditions and fire danger.

• WB450

Posted May 13, 2008 - 07:01 AM

Thanks for advise everyone. I am going to go with the GYTR 10oz flywheel and a 51 tooth on the rear.

After that will come a skid plate (recommendations appreciated) and a 2.6 gal. Clark tank, then rad guards.

Now I only have to wait for them to open the forest back up. They closed it due to drought conditions and fire danger.

Want to really add some distance maybe consider a IMS 3.1.

Posted Image

• Coastie3202

Posted May 13, 2008 - 09:13 AM

[quote name='WB450']Want to really add some distance maybe consider a IMS 3.1.

I noticed that you are running Seal Savers on your YZ. Do you have a problem with the left fork guard rubbing a hole in the Seal Saver? Mine rubs a hole when the suspension gets compressed.

• WB450

Posted May 13, 2008 - 10:27 AM

[quote name='Coastie3202'][quote name='WB450']Want to really add some distance maybe consider a IMS 3.1.

I noticed that you are running Seal Savers on your YZ. Do you have a problem with the left fork guard rubbing a hole in the Seal Saver? Mine rubs a hole when the suspension gets compressed.[/QUOTE]

No problems yet.:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.