sprockets?

4 replies to this topic
  • zaxcar1

Posted May 11, 2008 - 05:32 PM

so i was out riding my 02yz426. chain got loose and wrecked the Sprockets.
so now i have to get new ones and needed a little feed back. on the bike now i have a 51 tooth rear. i see stock is 49 for the yz and 50 for the wr. now i ride in the woods in michigan, and wanted to know what a good number front and rear is? and should i go steel or aluminum? my buddy i ride with says steel. and whats a good brand and where the heck should i get them from?

• sirthumpalot

Posted May 11, 2008 - 05:51 PM

Steel will outlast aluminum by a very wide margin. Heavy steel sprockets can be had just about for free (like $20 for a JT maybe?) and they'll last extremely well, but they weigh a few pounds. If you want the life of steel with weight similar to aluminum then the more fancy steel sprockets like the Ironman will do the trick, but you'll pay a premium for the light weight design.

Here's a weight comparison I did between a JT Steel, Ironman steel and Sunstar aluminum (click here). . You can see that aluminum is the lightest, but the Ironman is pretty darn close. The JT is a boat anchor. :thumbsup:

As for sizes, that's 100% personal preference. I will say it's much less expensive to experiment by swapping fronts than by swapping rears, though a 1-tooth change in the front will give you the same result as a multiple-tooth change in the rear. Good luck!

PS-> Nothing kills sprockets faster than a worn chain, so invest in a good chain if you want long life from your sprockets.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brucifer

Posted May 11, 2008 - 06:31 PM

As for the weight, You have a drill press?

Size? ask your self. Do I have to downshift often to get out of a corner? or do I want a little more top end speed. I don't think you can go wrong from 48 to 52.whatever. It is a 426 right :thumbsup: That is a tractor the will run 80.

• Slinkyman16

Posted May 11, 2008 - 07:45 PM

size is up to you.. however i personally like the vortex sprockets.. Tag is also another one of my choices as they tend to last a bit..

• swaldrop

Posted May 11, 2008 - 07:57 PM

so i was out riding my 02yz426. chain got loose and wrecked the Sprockets.
so now i have to get new ones and needed a little feed back. on the bike now i have a 51 tooth rear. i see stock is 49 for the yz and 50 for the wr. now i ride in the woods in michigan, and wanted to know what a good number front and rear is? and should i go steel or aluminum? my buddy i ride with says steel. and whats a good brand and where the heck should i get them from?

Your best bet by a long shot... http://www.qualitysm...nman.htm#chains

The middle package with the ORN chain will last you a VERY long time compared to any aluminum set.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.