Burning fuses

3 replies to this topic
  • rubberband-man

Posted May 11, 2008 - 05:24 PM

I wrecked my wr a few weeks ago, and the other day on a ride, the engine died and the ignition button wouldn't light up the speedo. I pulled everything off and found a burned fuse (10 amp). I put the 15 amp off the headlights into the 10 amp fuse spot, and rode the rest of the day, and rode Saturday with no problems. Today I had the fuse burn out again. Anybody have a clue why I'd be going through fuses so quick? I've searched the forum for fuse questions, but nothing like this.

• PBDBLUE

Posted May 11, 2008 - 06:07 PM

You've got an intermittent short somewhere. Check for pinched wires or worn insulation. Don't forget to pull the tank and check the harness along the frame also.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pluto67

Posted May 11, 2008 - 07:14 PM

What do you mean wrecked? damage the bars? that's a common sites for wire pinches and resultant shorts after damage. I wrecked a Harley last year (got rear-ended by another 'hog'). Took 4 months to get it back. A couple of weeks ago it was blowing fuses, no lights worked. I tried additional fuses, replaced a relay, found out the real problem was the insulation had been scraped off a wire when the shop re-wired the turn signals on the new rear fender. The shop told me new bars and signals are common sites for pinched wires after a wreck or re-build. Could your ignition wires have been pinched by the bars, radiator or something else getting knocked around?
Erik

• rubberband-man

Posted May 12, 2008 - 09:31 PM

Thanks y'all. I pulled off the headlight and I had some exposed wires running from the speedometer to the front wheel. Hopefully the problem is solved.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.