08 yz450 whining noise

8 replies to this topic
  • sdgracing

Posted May 11, 2008 - 02:01 PM

so i was riding at my track today doing motos bike sounded fine
did 2 motos took a break then did 2 more then took another break
when fired bike back up to go do more motos sounded fine but as i started to ride noticed that the motor noises sounded louder makes a whining noise as i ride
bike runs fine has no power loss no grinding or anyhting just loud whining as you rev up

bike is brand new with maybe 15-20 hours on motor
oil and filter changed regualrly
any ideas taking it to my mechanic tommorow

• nsman

Posted May 11, 2008 - 02:09 PM

primary drive nut is backing off allowing the gear mesh between the primary drive gear and clutch basket to change.Is there a knock noise at low RPM?

• sdgracing

Posted May 12, 2008 - 07:54 AM

checked it out today took oil filter off no shaving
took clutch apart baket nut is tight
sounds more like dull thud

any suggestions??

• nsman

Posted May 12, 2008 - 04:41 PM

The primary drive nut is not the one holding the basket on.Not much goes wrong with these YZ450 engines,but we have seen a couple primary drive nuts come loose since 03.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sdgracing

Posted May 12, 2008 - 05:25 PM

ohh sorry my bad i didn;t read to closely
i will pull the cover off tommrow and check that thanks

• sdgracing

Posted May 13, 2008 - 12:16 PM

took motor apart today found nothing wrong

found rock between frame and motor case hoping thats what noise was

noise is gone

• balls

Posted May 13, 2008 - 01:14 PM

Can remember mine makeing a whining noise when it was newer too, but only noticed it when riding tight trees, Never knew if it was clutch abuse or just getting hotter than normal or both. 90 hrs later and nothings gone bang!

• nsman

Posted May 13, 2008 - 03:06 PM

glad you found something.

• sdgracing

Posted May 13, 2008 - 04:13 PM

thanks for your help

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.