Took the plunge today

16 replies to this topic
  • rockieman

Posted May 10, 2008 - 07:42 PM

Went into the loccal dealer today to pick up some parts for my '99 WR400F, I walked out with the parts and a new bike. Now my question is "which bike" do I take home? Due to the sale today and lack of resistance from my wife, I now have the decision as to which bike do I want to buy. I'm torn between an '08 WR450, an '07 YZ450 or the '08 YZ450 :thumbsup: After a couple of hours of research I'm seriously considering the move to the YZ. After years of faithful service from the WR, I'm anxious to give the lighter, more powerful YZ a shot. My riding is strictly on the trail and living in CO it is still possible to (the YZ) plate despite the lack of lighting. I can get the '07 YZ out the door for 6K, another $600 or $700 and I can get the '08 YZ or WR. The advantages as I see it for the WR are, less options I need to buy (chain, kickstand, spark arrestor). The cons are the weight, the AIS mess, and the suspension work I'll likely need to invest (6'4" 215 lbs).
Should I make the move to the YZ, the major difference I see is the chassis and the steering advantage the '08 gives. The question is.... is it worth $800 bucks and regardless...it'll be an improvement over my current ride.
I also noticed in my searching that a lot more people are trying to convert WR's to YZ's.
I appreciate any feedback from anyone who has gone from one to the other.

• dirtrider115

Posted May 10, 2008 - 07:50 PM

You scared me,I thought you got married, sounds like you allready have a leash.Depends on what you ride.I went to a wr after a yzf because i like to ride in the mountains.The wr is way better for that and does good in the dez but on occasion i miss the yz like on a good day and im riding good or a lot of whoops.

• brad the best

Posted May 10, 2008 - 07:54 PM

if you don't want the headlight get the yz , simple .

• tblrk2008

Posted May 10, 2008 - 08:22 PM

Get the WR. The YZ trans is not good for road use or trail use. For the trail and mts you will have to tooth up the back or down the front for fun rides....that will really mess up the faster road speeds you need. That is why they make a WR. Low first gear for crawling and high fifth gear for road use. Find a used older YZ250 or something if you crave some explosive power.

• simica

Posted May 10, 2008 - 08:24 PM

Rockieman, you said you mainly trail ride. Why would you give up the trail comforts of the WR? The power difference between the new YZ's and a properly tuned new WR is so little I don't think you will notice or need it for trail riding. You also said you are 6'4". The YZ is made for much smaller riders. Have you ridden a YZ all day? The sitting to standing transition is going to wear you out unless you love doing squats at the gym. I wish I could get a new WR. I have an '05 and have done alot to it to make it competitive with the newer WR's and MX fourstrokes since I race alot as well as trail ride. Buy the new WR, jet it properly, get stiffer springs, and enjoy the more comfortable WR with the E button and electronic odometer.

By the way, I went trail riding at Rampart Range about four years ago while on summer vacation. Had a great time, your lucky!

• mx12boy

Posted May 10, 2008 - 08:28 PM

Get the 08 YZ. It is easier and cheaper to soften up the suspension than to beef up the motor.

• chevytrkn1

Posted May 10, 2008 - 08:34 PM

i rode my buddies new yz last year, Runs awsome. Now that my 07 wr has been jetted and the Dr'd exhaust system on it. I think it will run with it all day long

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 10, 2008 - 11:34 PM

You already have a wr. Get the YZ. Its a whole lot lighter. I am 215lbs also and in ok shape for a guy my age. After a long ride, the WR gets heavy. You'll ride longer and harder on the yz. You'll need to get the suspension done on either one, so that's not the issue.

You will have the best of both worlds.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Lowedog

Posted May 11, 2008 - 10:32 AM

I ride an '06 YZ 450 and ride mostly woods. I went from an '03 WR450 to this bike and never looked back. At your weight the YZ suspension will be fine stock. I'm 200 lbs, I just run my comp full soft for the woods. I love the close ratio tranny for trails. I went up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket. 1st gear is just a bit lower than the WR's 2nd. 1st gear on WR is almost useless to me it's so low. I put the woods high bend Pro Taper bars on. I'm 5'11 though and at 6'4" the YZ may be a bit cramped for you. I have ridden my buddies 2008 WR 450 and it feels almost identical to my YZ as far as size. I didn't really notice the extra weight either but my buddy said he noticed that my YZ felt a lot lighter than his WR.

The YZ forks are way better than the WR's. You can make the WR forks better but they still won't be as good as the dual chamber YZ forks are stock.

The only things I miss from the WR is the magic button, lights and 5th gear. The WR will walk away from the YZ on fire roads and open desert. Anything over 50 mph and the YZ is screaming in 5th gear. You can get a lighting stator for the YZ which I plan on doing since I have a plate for it. The only stator available though is just enough to run a 35w headlight and an led tail light.

If you can, ride them both and go from there. The KTM's are a lot more roomy for bigger riders and they are great bikes too.

-Lowedog

• Zsebi-2

Posted May 11, 2008 - 05:45 PM

The KTM's are a lot more roomy for bigger riders and they are great bikes too.

-Lowedog

Lowedog has the correct answer. KTM is much more suitable for your size it is a light bike, has plenty power and top notch parts. You would not need to modify anything.
What is that new KTM called 450 xc-W?
I am loyal to yamaha, but if I would be 6'4" I would dish out the extra $$$ and get the right bike.

• MotoGoalie

Posted May 12, 2008 - 07:07 AM

The Wide Ratio tranny is a MUST have on the trails we ride. Some trails you'd have a bitch of a time walking up much less riding up.

The YZ would be next to useless on such trails unless it had a Rekluse in it.
(i rode a 03 yz450 for a year and wanted to pitch it everytime we got into stuff like that)

Additionally. We mix in some road work to connect trails and that higher 5th gear pays off there.

If only Yamaha would build an intermediate bike like KTMS XC line; a hare scrambles yz with the WR tranny and nothing else - I bet they'd sell a million of em.

The bikes start so easy who needs the starter and battery and extra 25 lbs of doo dads.:thumbsup:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 12, 2008 - 08:03 AM

If only Yamaha would build an intermediate bike like KTMS XC line; a hare scrambles yz with the WR tranny and nothing else - I bet they'd sell a million of em.

The bikes start so easy who needs the starter and battery and extra 25 lbs of doo dads.:rolleyes:

Agree strongly on both points. :thumbsup:

I have a yz250 smoker with a full w426 WR tranny and its damn near perfect. Its light as hell and can stretch its legs.

my wr450 starts with a smooth and simply stab of the kick starter. 2 or 3 kicks when cold, first kick every time when warm. If I wasn't in Kalifornistan and needed a green sticker and a plate, I'd want a yz450 with a WR tranny and a rekluse pro. I'd be in heaven.

• Lowedog

Posted May 12, 2008 - 08:41 AM

[quote name='MotoGoalie']The Wide Ratio tranny is a MUST have on the trails we ride. Some trails you'd have a bitch of a time walking up much less riding up.

The YZ would be next to useless on such trails unless it had a Rekluse in it.
(i rode a 03 yz450 for a year and wanted to pitch it everytime we got into stuff like that)

Additionally. We mix in some road work to connect trails and that higher 5th gear pays off there.

QUOTE]

I ride my YZ in some pretty nasty stuff. I would bet our woods riding is real similar to yours and no Rekluse is needed. I went up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket and it's great. The WR's 1st is just too low so then if you gear it up to where it's usefull it has a huge gap between 1st and second and second is too high. Close ratio tranny is the bomb in the woods. The '03 YZ was a 4 speed and I think a litlle taller in first even. '06 and newer get the 5 speed tranny. The only thing I need is the WR 5th gear for the open country. :thumbsup:

-Lowedog

• rockieman

Posted May 14, 2008 - 04:24 PM

Agree strongly on both points. :thumbsup:

If I wasn't in Kalifornistan and needed a green sticker and a plate, I'd want a yz450 with a WR tranny and a rekluse pro. I'd be in heaven.

Thanks for all the feedback guys......I did move forward with the '07 YZ,
I added the following:
Rekluse clutch
IMS tank
radiator guards (Unibiker)
skid plate (Enduro Engineering)
rear disk guard (Moose)
spark arrester (Pro Billet)
kickstand (MSR)
Cycra hand guards
o-ring chain
smaller counter sprocket

Passing on the WR was a hard decision and I gave a lot of thought to the KTM's. I got all the above for $7500 out the door which was too hard to pass up. I'm keeping my plated 99 WR for the wide open rides :rolleyes:
I'm looking forward to having the best of both worlds.:rolleyes: :crazy:

• mikeythefokker

Posted May 15, 2008 - 01:03 AM

I always thought that my wr first gear was useless until I found some real nasty stuff two weeks ago. I was glad it was there then.

• VB_Racing

Posted May 17, 2008 - 04:16 PM

I recently helped setup and run a harescramble here in WI. I have an 03 WR450, and an 08 YZ 450. I ran cleanup after each class, so I got to ride the course quite a bit. I started out with the WR, but got low on gas after a couple laps, so I jumped on my 08 YZ. I have to say, my next harescramble will be on the YZ. The 08 YZ 5spd is spaced REAL well!! The suspension also soaks up the woods stuff better than expected. The lighter weight of the YZ is great!! The only thing I would miss after about an hour and a half would be the E start. The new YZ's with the 5 spd I think are going to be good woods bikes, but for trail riding the ol trusty WR still is comfy and has the E start.:thumbsup: Choice is going to be up to each riders personal qualities.

Dave

• brad the best

Posted May 18, 2008 - 07:07 PM

I always thought that my wr first gear was useless until I found some real nasty stuff two weeks ago. I was glad it was there then.

me and a buddy always get on old mountain bike trails with big trees fallen down and way to much over growth , personally the 1st gear is a little high and 5 th is a little low .on my 03 . oh well .

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.