Crank Bearing Replacement

4 replies to this topic
  • BBrown626

Posted May 10, 2008 - 12:41 PM

I finally have a new set of cases for my '04 450 and now I need to install bearings. I intend to use a method that has worked well for other bikes:
- heat the cases in the oven and cool the bearings in the freezer.
- press the bearings in by hand. If any assistance is required for the bearings, tap the outer races, using a socket and hammer.

I don't have a socket as big as the crank bearings on this 450.

What works well to install the crank bearings?

Thank you.

• William1

Posted May 10, 2008 - 01:13 PM

You will probably find the crank bearings literally fall in. Be quick as soon as the cases touch the bearings, temps equalize quickly and they are set. You could use your old crank bearings to tap on (freeze them too).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 10, 2008 - 03:07 PM

What he said. Limit the heat to 250 degrees F, and heat the case for 15 minutes. Handle it with gloves very carefully. If the bearing "grabs" the case before it seats, "walk" it in with a brass or steel punch or rod with about a 1/2" diameter.

• BBrown626

Posted May 11, 2008 - 01:47 PM

Thanks guys. Didn't think to use the old bearings.:rolleyes:
I am replacing them all, so I'll give that a try if needed.:thumbsup:

• TonyR

Posted May 11, 2008 - 02:41 PM

While on the subject of using old bearings to tap or press new bearings in, a method I use is to punch or break out the centre of the old bearing,and be just left with the outside shell. I use the disc grinder with a cutting disc on,to make one cut acoss the shell. I then use this bearing shell, which fits perfectly so no damage is done to the new bearing,and it has the advantage,that if the bearing is recessed, the shell can easily be pulled out after pushing the bearing right in. I then keep a collection of the shells for the common sizes, such as the swingarm bearings etc.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.