Help me pass emissions...wr400

41 replies to this topic
  • PoorComa

Posted May 09, 2008 - 05:55 PM

I took the wr400 down to get emissions tested and it failed on both the Hydrocarbons and then Carbon monoxide. The tech said I was probably running rich. How can I lean it out a bit in order to pass? Or is there something else I should be addressing? It's an idle test I have to pass in order to get plates.

On another note, the bike started to overheat as I was sitting in line to get tested.....I'm assuming it's simply not wise to let this bike sit and idle with no airflow or maybe I have a cooling problem as well....

Here's the results I got today:

HYDROCARBONS IN PPM:
1st Idle Reading: [COLOR="Blue"]1836[/COLOR]
PRECOND Reading: [COLOR="Blue"]1107[/COLOR]
PRECOND Standard: [COLOR="Blue"]500[/COLOR]
Final Reading: [COLOR="Blue"]1818[/COLOR]
Idle Standard: [COLOR="Blue"]1800[/COLOR]
Result: [COLOR="Red"]Fail[/COLOR]

CARBON MONOXIDE IN %
1st Idle Reading: [COLOR="Blue"]9.43[/COLOR]
PRECOND Reading:[COLOR="Blue"] 10.74[/COLOR]
PRECOND Standard: [COLOR="Blue"]5.00[/COLOR]
Final Reading: [COLOR="Blue"]9.88[/COLOR]
Idle Standard: [COLOR="Blue"]5.50[/COLOR]
Result: [COLOR="Red"]Fail[/COLOR]

• Birdy426

Posted May 10, 2008 - 08:47 AM

Yes, these bikes don't like to sit and idle without air flowing over the radiators. Shut her down when you're sitting in line for more than a minute or two. There are acouple of things you can do as far as mixture at idle, though I have no clue how much you will need to do to pass...Easiest is to adjust the fuel screw leaner. It's on the bottom of the carb, just forward of the float bowl and is a bitch to get to unless you have an aftermarket fuel screw. Turning it is a quarter or half turn makes a noticable difference. If you turn the fuel screw all the way in and you are still too rich, it's time to go to a smaller pilot jet. Also, you may want to drop the needle (raise the clip) 1 spot. While the needle isn't truely effective at idle, it may have some influence. Note that if your bike is tuned right already, leaning out the bottom of the jetting may make starting more difficult.

Is emmissions testing for street licensed bikes an annual or bi-annual thing there in AZ? That would really suck. We don't even have to do that (yet) in the People's Republic of Kalifornistan.

Good luck and let us know what works.

Oh...kind of an afterthought...be sure your air filter is clean!

• PoorComa

Posted May 10, 2008 - 11:18 AM

Yes, these bikes don't like to sit and idle without air flowing over the radiators. Shut her down when you're sitting in line for more than a minute or two. There are acouple of things you can do as far as mixture at idle, though I have no clue how much you will need to do to pass...Easiest is to adjust the fuel screw leaner. It's on the bottom of the carb, just forward of the float bowl and is a bitch to get to unless you have an aftermarket fuel screw. Turning it is a quarter or half turn makes a noticable difference. If you turn the fuel screw all the way in and you are still too rich, it's time to go to a smaller pilot jet. Also, you may want to drop the needle (raise the clip) 1 spot. While the needle isn't truely effective at idle, it may have some influence. Note that if your bike is tuned right already, leaning out the bottom of the jetting may make starting more difficult.

Is emmissions testing for street licensed bikes an annual or bi-annual thing there in AZ? That would really suck. We don't even have to do that (yet) in the People's Republic of Kalifornistan.

Good luck and let us know what works.

Oh...kind of an afterthought...be sure your air filter is clean!

I will check the air filter first thing. As far as tuning goes, I have no idea if this thing is tuned 'right' or not. I couldn't tell you if it was running great or mediocre since I have nothing to compare to or any past experience with thumpers.

I may take it to a buddy who went to MMI and see if he can give me any insight as to how it's running or should be running.

Emissions here is YEARLY on motorcycles. I can go once every two for my truck.

-Kevin

• dmoney1074

Posted May 10, 2008 - 04:21 PM

Depends on the county... in pima county there is NO emissions on bikes at all. Thats why living in phoenix is a bitch.

• Birdy426

Posted May 10, 2008 - 05:10 PM

I will check the air filter first thing. As far as tuning goes, I have no idea if this thing is tuned 'right' or not. I couldn't tell you if it was running great or mediocre since I have nothing to compare to or any past experience with thumpers.

I may take it to a buddy who went to MMI and see if he can give me any insight as to how it's running or should be running.

Emissions here is YEARLY on motorcycles. I can go once every two for my truck.

-Kevin

Kevin-
By "right" I just meant easy to start, sems to make good power, etc. If it's easy to start now, leaning out the bottom may make it more difficult to start, but easier to pass emissions.

• clark4131

Posted May 11, 2008 - 05:53 AM

Try some of this stuff. I'm doing a test run of it in my cars right now and it seems to work as advertised...SC

• SXP

Posted May 12, 2008 - 06:54 AM

Try some of this stuff. I'm doing a test run of it in my cars right now and it seems to work as advertised...SC

How much does this stuff cost and where do you buy it from?

• PoorComa

Posted May 12, 2008 - 07:14 AM

How much does this stuff cost and where do you buy it from?

Same question.....

• PoorComa

Posted May 20, 2008 - 08:07 AM

I went back today for another test after I cleaned up the carb and got it to where I thought it should be. Passed the first part Hydrcarbons. Brought those down to the 800 range from 1818. I Failed the carbon monoxide portion again though! I was told by the tech this would seem to indicate too much fuel and not enough air....well I did the test with the fuel screw only a half turn out.

I was told by a motorcycle mechanic buddy that for the test I should turn the fuel screw in until it barely runs and then back it out a hair for the test. Well, I trust him so I tried doing as he described but I was able to turn the screw all the way in and it kept idling.....so I just left it at a half. My readings did go down, just not enough. This time I was down to 7.49 which is half of my needed improvement to drop below 5.50

Above it's mentioned that leaning it out may make it harder to start but even with the screw only a half turn out it still starts one kick. However, my hanging idle (high revs) has returned....not as bad but it does take a bit for the idle to return to normal which I think messed up my test a bit since it was idling a bit high and then after 10secs or so it dropped way down.

• Zaz

Posted May 20, 2008 - 08:29 AM

I can't give you specific info regarding the wr 400, but I can tell you that my ATK can't pass the AZ emissions test with the air cleaner on. Tried different idle jets, fuel screw settings, float levels, failed at least 6 times over the years. Tried a clean filter without oil, same result. Now I just drive it up to ADESA (sp) take the air cleaner off, then walk it up to the line, starting the engine less than a minute before the test is conducted. Works every time for me. You may need to mess with the idle mixture to get it to idle w/o the air cleaner. So much for 4 strokes "saving the enviorment".

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • swede426

Posted May 20, 2008 - 08:38 AM

How about adding some ethanol in the gastank, anyone tried it?

• byggd

Posted May 20, 2008 - 08:45 AM

A smog test to plate a bike?? WOW and I thought CA was bad!

• PoorComa

Posted May 20, 2008 - 09:31 AM

I can't give you specific info regarding the wr 400, but I can tell you that my ATK can't pass the AZ emissions test with the air cleaner on. Tried different idle jets, fuel screw settings, float levels, failed at least 6 times over the years. Tried a clean filter without oil, same result. Now I just drive it up to ADESA (sp) take the air cleaner off, then walk it up to the line, starting the engine less than a minute before the test is conducted. Works every time for me. You may need to mess with the idle mixture to get it to idle w/o the air cleaner. So much for 4 strokes "saving the enviorment".

I didn't give too much credit to the guy when he suggested I try without the air filter but after reading your post I just may give that a try.:thumbsup: I wish I could have some indication of how I'm doing before I blow the $19 to have it tested again....
:rolleyes:

• PoorComa

Posted May 20, 2008 - 09:33 AM

A smog test to plate a bike?? WOW and I thought CA was bad!

Here it is the same for all motorcycles. In CA you still have to do emissions for streetbikes no? I thought cali was like the air nazi of the country requiring all the extra smog stuff and CARB approvals and whatnot...

• ShmUDE

Posted May 20, 2008 - 09:34 AM

if you have your fuel screw all the way in then you might need to change your jetting.

• Zaz

Posted May 20, 2008 - 09:47 AM

Believe it or not, unleaded racing fuel seems to help a little as well. I would have thought that would hurt emissions. I think that the air filter trick will work, I forget the actual number but it cut the idle test hydrocarbons by half. Sucks being tested every year, I'm due again in June:thumbsdn: Let us know how it turns out.

• PoorComa

Posted May 20, 2008 - 10:05 AM

if you have your fuel screw all the way in then you might need to change your jetting.

I think you're right but I know nothing of jetting and was hoping I wouldn't have to fuss with it. I wish I could afford to just have it tuned by a dyno shop like ECS (mesa) but alas I have very little right now (work is s l o w) so I'll try to adjust what I have for now.....

• byggd

Posted May 20, 2008 - 10:42 AM

Here it is the same for all motorcycles. In CA you still have to do emissions for streetbikes no? I thought cali was like the air nazi of the country requiring all the extra smog stuff and CARB approvals and whatnot...

No smoging required on my 02 for dual registration.

• PoorComa

Posted May 20, 2008 - 11:44 AM

Believe it or not, unleaded racing fuel seems to help a little as well. I would have thought that would hurt emissions. I think that the air filter trick will work, I forget the actual number but it cut the idle test hydrocarbons by half. Sucks being tested every year, I'm due again in June:thumbsdn: Let us know how it turns out.

Well I decided to give it another shot without the airfilter or the endcap (GTY-R, which was not on at time of purchase).....got WORSE results. I still passed the hydrocarbon part but not by as much as the last time and I went up to 8.6 on the carbon monoxide....is was at 7.49 last time....maybe I'll just save up and do it professionally on a dyno.:thumbsup:

• Zaz

Posted May 20, 2008 - 11:58 AM

Damn! Sorry about the bad info:bonk:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.