TO BIG FOR MY 91' XR 600R

2 replies to this topic
  • SCOTTYK

Posted November 21, 2002 - 11:01 AM

I HAVE A 1991 XR 600 THAT I'M REBUILDING.I'M 6FT 5IN TALL. AND RIDE ENDURO. I JUST READ AN ARTICLE THAT SAYS YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO STAND UP WITH YOUR KNEES STRAIGHT AND GRAG YOUR BARS I'M NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THAT. I'M LIKE 4IN AWAY.
I WOULD LIKE TO ATTAIN THIS POSITION BY LOWERING MY FOOT PEG OR RAISING MY BARS I DON'T THINK I CAN GET 4IN OUT OF RAISING MY BARS. ANY HELP APPRECIATED

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Big_D

Posted November 21, 2002 - 08:02 PM

I am 6'4" with an '01 650R, and my solution to short bars was to go with a Renthal Button bend. My aim is to be comfortable in the "attack" position, aka standing on the pegs with your knees slightly bent, and your back tilted forward so that your sholders are up over the bars. At first I rolled my bars too far forward and the sweep of the bars caused the grips to be tipped up so much it bothered my wrists. After I pulled them back, and got used to them again my wrists do not bother me, and I have more leverage for jumps and keeping the front light in woops. I set my bars by having the bike sitting straight up on the ground and I make the rise of the bars strait up and down. The way the 650R clamp is designed the gripps feel a little pulled back for me, but I would have to pop for a new tripple clamp (no budget) to fix that.

One of my riding buddies who works at a shop sugested the CR-High bend if I went with a "buldge bar" like a Pro-Taper. The Scotts website has a very nice chart of bar widths, rise, and sweep for the Renthal and Pro-Taper bends.

I do not know who still makes clamps for the 600, but the bar mounts on most are adjustable forward, and cam move the bars up.

Hope that gives you some Ideas...

• XR650Rrider

Posted November 23, 2002 - 01:13 PM

Bar Risers
I use these along with the Renthal Jimmy Button bend bars. Still not perfect but is much better than stock, but I'm 6'9".

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.