Any tips for rear subframe removal?

7 replies to this topic
  • Pluto67

Posted May 09, 2008 - 06:19 AM

Was trying to remove the '08 450 throttle stop screw and stripped it out good. (with an SAE allen head on 14" socket extension) The whole back end and shock will have to come off to grab that baby with a pair of vice grips(?).* I really don't want to take it to the shop for this (don't want to hear 'what are you doing to that NEW BIKE?? from the wife either. :thumbsup: :blah:blah: )

I had the rear subframe partially removed but got intimidated by the thought of re-attaching the larger breather hose on the back of the carb or messing up the rear shock. The shock is definitely in the way to get open access to the throttle stop screw to grab it with something strong.Yesterday I was ready to drag it back in to the dealer for the fix, but I think I'm gearin' up to have a crack at it again.* I'll leave the jets alone for now, just want to replace the stop screw and pull the grey wire.* I really dont want to be out-of-commision all weekend or mess up this great bike.* even with just a 1/4 throttle rotation it's still a lot of fun.Any tips on subframe removal and carb access?? the manual isn't much help other than diagrams.

Thanks Erik

• WR_Dave

Posted May 09, 2008 - 06:26 AM

Take the muffler off, take the bottom subrame bolts out, loosen the rear carb boot clamp, rotate the entire subframe up and snug the top bolt. Remove the shock and do the job. If you are going that far I would really get into the carb and do the jetting and fuel screw to save all that trouble again. Someone in your area should be able to get you close with jetting. ( and NO I have never owned a Harley ) :thumbsup: WR Dave

• RickSanson

Posted May 09, 2008 - 07:17 AM

Do what he said! It's not hard. Loosen the boot clamp, pull the exhaust and the two bottom sub-frame bolts and loosen (don't remove) the top sub-frame bolt. It's under the rubber thingey by the battery. Swing up the sub frame nearly vertical. I use a thin cord to keep from flopping down or do as Dave said and tighten the top bolt to keep the sub-frame from flopping down.

Now go borrow a torque wrench. Buy one if you plan on wrenching on your bike (which you should).

Remove shock and begin to experience carb modifications. It's fun! You'll like it!

When you're done, find the required torque specs for every bolt you removed, reinstall the shock, torque bolts to spec and simply swing the sub-frame back down and wiggle that carb boot back into place. Be sure it's in place by seeing it in place on each side. Tighten the carb boot clamp, replace lower sub-frame bolts, re-install the exhaust and torque bolts to spec.

Find a hare scramble, rinse, repeat...

• jandmsuburban7

Posted May 09, 2008 - 09:32 AM

and use blue colored locktite on all bolts and then they wont back out from your crazy high revved riding and I second the torque wrench. Too easy to strip out bolts and tweak the aluminum - not pretty!! Jason

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • todhog

Posted May 09, 2008 - 11:59 AM

Jason, Its not really that bit a deal. I just let mine swing to the left and hang by the wiring bundle. I did have to disconnect the radiator over flow tube at the radiator and slide it back a Little for some slack. The shock is no biggy either, just two bolts and one wrench on the nut. Bolt has a flat side to keep it from turning. One thing nobody has motioned is that you need to support the bike when you take the shock out. I think that's what holds the bike up. When you reassemble, bolt the sub frame on and use it to put pressure on the air boot to the carb. Oh, I never took the exhaust off either. It just kinda hangs there. Then I took a large flat blade and helped the boot on the carb. Don't ignore this advice, it took me a long time to type it!

• Pluto67

Posted May 09, 2008 - 01:24 PM

Thanks for the tips, guys. TT forum is great! these pointers together with jetting info and pics on the tech section have me convinced I 'can do' - uncork the throttle and re-jet the carb. haven't wrenched much on bikes, but I did a bit on a Jeep wrangler I had.
This helps!
Erik

• Strattos

Posted August 19, 2008 - 04:13 PM

Take the muffler off, take the bottom subrame bolts out, loosen the rear carb boot clamp, rotate the entire subframe up and snug the top bolt. Remove the shock and do the job. If you are going that far I would really get into the carb and do the jetting and fuel screw to save all that trouble again. Someone in your area should be able to get you close with jetting. ( and NO I have never owned a Harley ) :thumbsup: WR Dave

Awesome WR Dave this is exactly what i've been looking for. I started the job last night and was going to take the whole rear subframe off to pull my shock out. You've just saved me a heap of work.

One question though. Do you have to disconnect any of the wiring (aside from battery leads, as I've already taken the battery out) before swinging the sub frame up? Does the wiring, including the wiring going to the CDI stretch/reach without having to disconnect them or cut any of the zip ties?

• WR_Dave

Posted August 19, 2008 - 08:13 PM

Depending on how they were tyed up at the factory, I didn't have to remove any other wiring than the battery. WR Dave

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.