And another thread on decel pop

5 replies to this topic
  • Windseeker

Posted May 08, 2008 - 06:09 PM

Got the 08 YZ450F with Yoshi RS pipe.

Pops as hell every time the right hand goes up. No fire though. Turned the fuel screw up to 3 turnes out - helps but only just. Serious gun fire effect is still there. Got the main jet to 170 - no effect whatsoever. Now want to order some needles to try.

Anyone solved it with the needle? The manual is confusing as to the richening\leaning effects of diameter\shape options (clip positions are ok and clear). Which one(s) are the right one(s)? NFLQ NFLP NFPR NFPQ ?

I know the standard is NFLR.

Thanks. :eek:

• Ga426owner

Posted May 08, 2008 - 06:16 PM

what is the temp and altitude?
I see no need to try different needle yet - NFLR works

• Windseeker

Posted May 08, 2008 - 06:30 PM

Yes - should have mentioned - alt is sea level to 300 metres. Temp is 10-20 deegresC.

And I read what I could find on "decel pop" and even all pages on Jetting mod on YZ forum :eek:

So I know some popping is racing and ok and theres no air leak on the bike - I had few people check my work :p

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 08, 2008 - 06:56 PM

Decel popping is nearly always either an air leak in the exhaust, which you should always check first, or a lean pilot jet. The needle will have no effect on it.

The leak would more than likely be at the joint of the header and midpipe, although a leak at the head will do it too, as will a leak between the mid pipe and muffler (this is less common even when there is a joint there).

Once you are sure of the pipe. Try this:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=327405

• Windseeker

Posted May 08, 2008 - 10:40 PM

Thanks - will try a high temp sealant between the header and the mid pipe as there is nothing - just one pipe goes into the other (seems to be "the yoshi way").

And will order richer pilot jets. Will report when done.

• todds924

Posted May 11, 2008 - 07:54 PM

Got the 08 YZ450F with Yoshi RS pipe.

Pops as hell every time the right hand goes up. No fire though. Turned the fuel screw up to 3 turnes out - helps but only just. Serious gun fire effect is still there. Got the main jet to 170 - no effect whatsoever. Now want to order some needles to try.

Anyone solved it with the needle? The manual is confusing as to the richening\leaning effects of diameter\shape options (clip positions are ok and clear). Which one(s) are the right one(s)? NFLQ NFLP NFPR NFPQ ?

I know the standard is NFLR.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

3 turns out is way to much. You risk the screw falling out if you go past 2 1/2. I am running a pro circuit ti-4 on my 08 and the only thing i changed was the leak jet...from a 55 to a 50. Pro circuit recommends an NFLP needle in the 5th groove and a 42 pilot....I tried it and didn't like it at all. I would also make sure your hot start plunger is closing all the way also. Try keeping the NFLR needle...and use a 48 pilot jet..... about 2 turns on the fuel screw. A 170 main jet will have no effect with your popping and is to big in my opinion for the 08.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.