handle bar bag, or rear fender bag

24 replies to this topic
  • KennyMc

Posted May 12, 2008 - 06:50 AM

Hey Kenshaw, our setups look very similar. Did you hardwire your GPS with a 12 volt receptacle wired directly to the battery?

Well I am a bit electrical challenged.:thumbsup: When you say receptacle, do you mean like a car battery charger plug. The answer to that would be no. The wire terminates at the bars (which plugs into the back of the GPS) and runs to the battery with an in-line fuse tucked in under the seat.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 12, 2008 - 08:08 AM

+1 on the fanny pack. I looked at the handlebar and rear bag options and decided on the fanny pack. Pleased I did. Surprisingly you do not notice it once you get going.

+2 on the fanny pack for tools.

You never feel them since the weight is carried low on your body. During a long ride, I'd get tired and would have difficulty lifting my leg high enough to clear the bag.

The fanny pack holds quite a bit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted May 12, 2008 - 08:45 AM

Take a look at the Fastboy pack from Dirt-Bike-Gear. Nice low profile and has a zippered compartment inside for your wallet, etc. This is the second bag I have bought from them and the quality is top notch:thumbsup:

http://www.dirt-bike...ender_bags.html

I run the same pack but it's too full of tools, spark plug etc to fit anything else.

• Dube2

Posted May 12, 2008 - 08:59 AM

I had the wallmart BELL bicycle fender bag (of course modified for MC use) worked pretty well but didn't like the bag giving me a strange feel when doing some technical rides. So I 86'd it.........

I use the O'neal rear fender pack. I added some nylon staps and a thicker base for more support. Shortly after, I saw the dirtbikegear.com bag. So looks like I coppied them. in that bag I carry, (3) motion pro 8.5" tire irons, (1) combo axel wrench, front tube, tow rope, (6) co2 bottles / w/ inflater, (i found the paintball ones at wallmart work in the inflater, much cheaper, but smaller), patch kit(patch glue always dries up so add some peel and stick patches), extra maps, registration with emergency phone numbers and a few other items.

Next is a wolfpakusa.com back pac that mounts to my chest protector. Is also has a ribcage protection belt. I met the guy that invented it as he was airlifted due to broken ribs abd punched lung. I like this thing. I carry aprx 1-ltr of water in the hydration bag, 1/4" socket set 8-12mm, set of allens for socket wrench and extra socket wrench just in case, watarproof matches, whistel, extra spark plug in weathrproof holder, Alumabond in weatherproof holder, small firstaid kit, mirror to alert others, cell phone, GPS w/ extra batteries, 2-way radio w/ extra batteries, box/open end wrenches 8-12 mm, adjustable wrenc, 4-in one screw driver, knife, electrical wire, electrical tape, roll of rescue tape for hose emergencies, vise grip pliers, needle nose pliers, ten roll pack of ez-towels, small amount of misc screws, nylon ty-straps, safety wire, side cutters, flash light, emergency blanket, (1) 1/4" x 6" socket extension (for removing the tank), more co2 bottles, goggle wipies, etc........ Still working on getting the chain breaker/chain press and extra links. Also the wolkpak has a holder for extra water bottles or I even carry extra fuel in gatoraid bottles. I had a small spill and fell on my back, everyhting stayed in tack. I'd like to have the upper part larger for clothing on those overnighters.

Next is the wolfman.com enduro tank bag.

Sorry for being out of order on my items, but I'm at work and going off of memory.

• weathergeek

Posted May 12, 2008 - 08:21 PM

Well I am a bit electrical challenged.:thumbsup: When you say receptacle, do you mean like a car battery charger plug. The answer to that would be no. The wire terminates at the bars (which plugs into the back of the GPS) and runs to the battery with an in-line fuse tucked in under the seat.

I was just curious. Yes I was referring to a 12 v receptacle like what is in a car. I had a friend help me yesterday with mine. I did mine with the 12 v receptacle and mounted it up on the handlebars. Now I have 12 volt power when I need it and not just for the GPS.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.