2008 Steering stem rough

11 replies to this topic
  • Brawg

Posted May 07, 2008 - 07:29 PM

I bought a "used" 2008 YZ450 from a dealership in Russellville, AR. I noticed the steering felt kinda odd, but just thought that was how the new bike felt. Now, after a few rides on the new steed I go to grab it and slap it up in the truck. When I tried to turn the bars to take it off the stand it was stuck turned! I was able to move it, but if I put it on the stand (front wheel elevated) I can feel the bearings are rough. I would like to know if anyone has had this problem. I understand that the previous owner could have pulled an aftermarket triple clamp before trading it in, but the bike was so new and so unmodified everywhere else, that I doubt it. Thanks for the insight.:eek:

• KJ790

Posted May 07, 2008 - 07:40 PM

Steering bearings were never greased and now they have rusted and etched the races. You need new steering bearings and races. This is why you need to keep the steering head and rear suspension linkage greased.

• andy250

Posted May 07, 2008 - 07:43 PM

You need to replace the headset bearing(s). Possibly just the top. I'd be willing to bet that the bike was cleaned with a pressure washer some time in its short life, and water was forced into the steering stem.

Be sure to buy OEM replacements. They have a seal that you will not find on the pivot works or all balls kits. These seals should help to keep moisture out.

• FreshDonutsCAN

Posted May 08, 2008 - 05:21 AM

for greasing the rear linkage does it show you in your manual where to apply grease?? There isnt a nipple or anything is there?

• A-310

Posted May 08, 2008 - 05:22 AM

You need to replace the headset bearing(s). Possibly just the top. I'd be willing to bet that the bike was cleaned with a pressure washer some time in its short life, and water was forced into the steering stem.

Be sure to buy OEM replacements. They have a seal that you will not find on the pivot works or all balls kits. These seals should help to keep moisture out.

Anyone have an easy way of getting the old bearing races out of the steering head? I just got an 06 YZ 250 frame with the same problem. Was going to use some heat and a long punch?

• A-310

Posted May 08, 2008 - 05:25 AM

for greasing the rear linkage does it show you in your manual where to apply grease?? There isnt a nipple or anything is there?

No nipples, you need to take the suspension off and clean the bearings and then regrease. There is a ten step procedure that someone posted on TT somewhere. Pretty easy though

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 08, 2008 - 06:14 AM

Anyone have an easy way of getting the old bearing races out of the steering head? I just got an 06 YZ 250 frame with the same problem. Was going to use some heat and a long punch?

You won't need heat. Freshen up the tip of the punch so it's nice and flat first. It shouldn't give you any trouble.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=531298

• andy250

Posted May 08, 2008 - 06:56 AM

This tool works like great.

http://www.parktool....t=80&item=RT--2

• A-310

Posted May 08, 2008 - 07:04 AM

You won't need heat. Freshen up the tip of the punch so it's nice and flat first. It shouldn't give you any trouble.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=531298

Thanks for the tip, I'll get the pipe and give it a shot.

• Brawg

Posted March 01, 2010 - 10:15 PM

I just did this again this weekend for the sake of having all new bearings/seals on every pivot point on the bike...The races are a bit of an itch! If you are doing this more than once, buy the dang tool. Also, the pivot works kits have updated to contain the seal that they used to not. i bought MSR this time, but i'm sure all of those "non japanese" bearings are made in the same factory...

• ubu

Posted March 02, 2010 - 07:57 AM

Yes, the races are tough. I ended up feeding a pipe in the steering head, wedging a chisel between it and the race, and beating the bottom end of the pipe with a hitch ball (my hammer wasn't cutting it)
I got the pivot works set, and it comes with the updated top seal. Since then I've stayed away from the steering when washing; I don't even like to mist it.

• cbwood

Posted March 02, 2010 - 12:57 PM

Don't forget to clean the whole head tube inside. I found a fair amount of factory weld splatter had broken loose and fallen onto the bottom race causing a little crunchy feeling on the stand.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.