supermoto wr?

40 replies to this topic
  • Alternative

Posted May 10, 2008 - 03:18 AM

Cool thanks! :thumbsup: Are those wheel more or less then spoke type wheels?

A lot less. A set of Talon/Excel spoked wheels would've cost me NZ$1500 at least. I got my wheels for NZ$340 and had them powdercoated blue for about NZ$120. They're off a Suzuki 250 Bandit so they required a bit of work to make them fit but it was definitely worth it.

• WR450FGreg

Posted May 10, 2008 - 04:17 AM

I bought a pair of Geinhart supermotard wheels which have RAD hubs.
Long story, but I ended up getting them (new) for about $800 for the pair.

Now they are sitting in my workshop until I can afford tyres and a chain.
(Got sprockets and discs ready to go.)

On the subject of discs, I plan to initially just go for the occasional road run with my mates, no sideways action.
BUT .... I eventually plan to try Supermoto racing (club level) on it.

I'm thinking that the stock WR450F discs will do me for casual roadriding, and once I'm ready to get serious with it then go for oversized discs.
Am i on the right track here?

Greg

• martin450

Posted May 10, 2008 - 12:03 PM

I have a 5 inch rim and ,I also think the 5 inch rim is too hard to get lined up right. so a 4.5 or a 4.25 would be better , Don't get a 5 inch unless you are ready to do a bit of machining spacers to make it fit.

does your 5inch wheel hit the chain bad ? mine does (150 tyre)only when gunning it through corners ! :thumbsup:

edit ; with a 4.25" wheel you can fit a 160 tyre btw with no rubbing

• djv5

Posted May 10, 2008 - 12:17 PM

does your 5inch wheel hit the chain bad ? mine does (150 tyre)only when gunning it through corners ! :thumbsup:

Does the 160 tire fit properly on a 4.25" rear wheel, or do you recommend a 150 tire??

I plan on running a 150 tire, which profile do you suggest, a 150/60-17 or a 150/70-17.

• tweav

Posted May 10, 2008 - 12:27 PM

I made a sprocket spacer ,and it still slaps a 160 if I dont keep the chain fairly tight . It slaps as it is adjusted in my pics

• roushxteam199

Posted May 10, 2008 - 01:50 PM

wow this is getting bigger than i thought it would. I plan on running 4.25 wide rear with a 160 wide tire. Alot of good info going thought this thread.

• martin450

Posted May 10, 2008 - 02:00 PM

Well I,m changing my 5" rim for a 4.25" rim , as I've seen a few bikes with the 160 tyre on this rim with no probs,(but maybe they dont ride as hard as me :thumbsup: ) and I'm sick of killin new tyres.
Chain tension is also critical, to much hassle with a 5" rim
I,m gonna stick with a 150 tyre when i do this ( i cant remember my tyre height right now).
I'll post some pics of my tyre soon ,

• roushxteam199

Posted May 11, 2008 - 05:03 AM

i have decided im only going 150 tire now and getting a 45 sproket.

• Longtimeyamahaguy

Posted May 17, 2008 - 06:48 PM

Since I bought my YZ250 the WR450 has sat for 2yrs now. So I`m doing a street SM to mine.
Posted Image

Posted Image
The "kit" I bought for it
Posted Image
Stripped it down to replace the steering bearings
Posted Image
Front tire and new fender
Posted Image
Posted Image
Getting closer. I couldn`t come up with a good idea for a lighted license plate so I bought a YZF rear fender and I went with a under the fender tail/stop/bracket all in one unit
Posted Image
Got the tank/shroud graphics today, all of them are just taped on right now until I get the bike inspected for plates
Posted Image

• CRFSCOTT

Posted May 20, 2008 - 04:09 PM

Hey guys. I have a wr426. I had a few questions about going supermoto with it. First off, im guess that my stock dirtbike excel rims wont work for supermoto right? meaning, will i have to get smaller sized rims? As well, im looking for tires that will be good for the street..like the ones that Longtimeyamahaguy above me got. I live in Ontario, Canada. I was just wondering about how much it would cost me to do this. Im just looking for a bike to ride to school and around where i live. Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roushxteam199

Posted May 20, 2008 - 04:33 PM

you can get a par of warp 9 rims for right around $900 than spend another 300 on tires. Buy a light kit for like 300 and than ur set to go.

• manther

Posted June 19, 2008 - 07:42 AM

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but it's right on subject with what I want to know. Two things. Has anyone ever bought just rims, and laced there original dirt hubs into the rims? Also what size rims alow the least amount of clearance issues. I don't want to have to relocate very muuch if I can help it. I guess I have three questions. Also I noticed everyone goes 17" in the front and 17" in the rear. I can't help wondering if it would look cool to go 17 in the rear, and 19 in the front. Why does every one go 17 - 17? Thanks!

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted June 19, 2008 - 08:54 AM

Has anyone ever bought just rims, and laced there original dirt hubs into the rims?

yes you can...for the simple answer

Also what size rims allow the least amount of clearance issues. I don't want to have to relocate very much if I can help it.

i believe that the 5in rears (wide) give some people issues....if it was me i would do 4.5...check the supermoto forum on here there is a bunch of info on this subject

IWhy does every one go 17 - 17?

simple....tire selection

• manther

Posted June 19, 2008 - 09:39 AM

Thanks

• tweav

Posted June 19, 2008 - 08:31 PM

yes you can relace the stock hubs . you just have to order rims with the right spoke spacing. If I were you I'd go with a 4.25 rear it will make life much easier for you . My 5 was a real pain to fit and the chain still slaps it . 4.25 seems to be the best choice for a wr.

P.s. you can't find too many good tires in 19 inch . also 17 lowers the front more . and a lot of racers use a 16.5 rear rim because most slick tires are that size .

• aussiefletch

Posted June 20, 2008 - 04:41 AM

here you go I just shot a walk around . feel free to ask questions

How come you didn't go a big caliper? Using the original front brake caliper on a bracket will see it overheating, therefore fading:cry: .

• aussiefletch

Posted June 20, 2008 - 05:03 AM

[IMG]http://http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn38/fletch450/jumpclockwise.jpg[/IMG]

• tweav

Posted June 20, 2008 - 08:57 AM

How come you didn't go a big caliper? Using the original front brake caliper on a bracket will see it overheating, therefore fading:cry: .

mainly because the I switch back and forth between the sm setup and dirt . it would add more time to the swap over , also the stock wr450 could not take anymore brake without respringing and revalving it . I have the settings maxxed out just to make it not feel way too soft . It will do stoppies now how much more brakes do you need . I've never had a problem with the brake fading , the only trouble I've ever had was I hit them too late !!!:thumbsup: :p

• WR450SM

Posted June 20, 2008 - 03:10 PM

mainly because the I switch back and forth between the sm setup and dirt . it would add more time to the swap over , also the stock wr450 could not take anymore brake without respringing and revalving it . I have the settings maxxed out just to make it not feel way too soft . It will do stoppies now how much more brakes do you need . I've never had a problem with the brake fading , the only trouble I've ever had was I hit them too late !!!:thumbsup: :p

The brakes will fade if you ride a few laps on a tight kart track, but on the street....No way. It is all about cooling, IE duty cycle - how long do the brakes have to cool vs time spent braking.

• tweav

Posted June 20, 2008 - 06:03 PM

The brakes will fade if you ride a few laps on a tight kart track, but on the street....No way. It is all about cooling, IE duty cycle - how long do the brakes have to cool vs time spent braking.

I've never had mine it the track yet , so for right now my brakes are for mini vans

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.