Installing Graphics kit

9 replies to this topic
  • tp3dxf

Posted May 10, 2002 - 02:01 PM

Anyone have any tips on installing a graphics kit. I have a tank and shroud sticker that I am gonna attempt to put on my bike. Should I scuff the plastic? I really don't want to do that but I heard that it makes it stick better. I have also heard that if you spray the plastic with Windex then apply the sticker you can move it around a little to get is set right where you want it. After the Windex dries the sticker wont move. Anyone ever try this?

• wrsm

Posted May 11, 2002 - 08:04 AM

Use weak washing up liquid/water mix in a trigger spray. Allows the sticker to be moved about & lets you squash out the air bubbles.

There was a good post some months back - do a search!!

• Thumperfreak

Posted May 11, 2002 - 10:05 AM

I've had my best experience using CRC contact cleaner on the plastic. It removes any oils. You might want to have a hair dryer at the ready to coax the sticker over any bends that it doesn't want to stay down on. This is the same technique that a pro MX tuner I know uses. Good luck. tf

• YAMAKAZE

Posted May 11, 2002 - 11:07 AM

You don't have to get fancy to do this particular job....Just make sure the surface is clean after you rip off the old graphics.You can use water or a spray bottle of windex to wet the surface of the tank and lightly coat the back of the graphic (Creates a barrier between the surfaces making it easy to move around) Once you get it where you want it take out a credit card and gently work the water (or Windex) out from between the graphic and the Tank or shroud and ...Your done. Wait 24 hours for the graphic to dry and then ROOST ON!

I personally use a bottle of windex (Even for my fender stickers) I find that when it dries it seems to adhere better.

Good Luck...

Bonzai :)

• wrsm

Posted May 12, 2002 - 04:44 AM

Can one of you kind chaps explain to a simple Brit what on Earth "Windex" is?
And what is it's normal use?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DPW

Posted May 12, 2002 - 06:39 AM

Windex is glass cleaner, here's the web page

• YAMAKAZE

Posted May 12, 2002 - 07:17 AM

A windex web site....Gotta Love it....

Bonzai :)

• Steve_Sanford

Posted May 12, 2002 - 05:05 PM

Just put a set on a KDX today. I've already done my own plus about 5 other bikes this year. Windex works great, but alcohol (rubbing alcohol)in a spray bottle along with the credit card trick works even better. Always use a blow dryer and have alot of patience. Use a straight razor to trim everything up. GOOD LUCK.

• wrsm

Posted May 13, 2002 - 11:37 AM

Thanks, there are similar products in UK.

Love the website!! Checked out the "real life stories" section for decal stories LOL!!

• levy1

Posted May 13, 2002 - 12:21 PM

, but alcohol (rubbing alcohol)in a spray bottle along with the credit card trick works even better.

How much water to alcohol?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.