Broken radiator

10 replies to this topic
  • manther

Posted May 07, 2008 - 07:36 AM

My brother in law dropped his bike while doing a hill climb the other day and broke his right side radiator. Needless to say it ruined the day for him. Will those aluminum radiator gaurds not only protect against flying rocks, but also help add a little extra crash stability? I suspect not. Are there any tricks to keeping these things from getting smashed? (Besides not crashing :^)

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 07, 2008 - 05:05 PM

My brother in law dropped his bike while doing a hill climb the other day and broke his right side radiator. Needless to say it ruined the day for him. Will those aluminum radiator gaurds not only protect against flying rocks, but also help add a little extra crash stability? I suspect not. Are there any tricks to keeping these things from getting smashed? (Besides not crashing :^)

Unabiker guards... search Unabiker in this forum, you will likely get about 50 threads on the subject. They offer superior protection to side impacts.

If his radiator needs repaired, try Myler's or Mylar's (sp?) in AZ, they will send it back good as new.:eek:

• kjr247

Posted May 07, 2008 - 06:42 PM

The guards do work. I have tested them. This forum has countless opinions. But most a pretty good.

Mylers Radiator Repair does a super job and are real quick. It takes longer to ship them there for me. You send it in good packaging with your phone number and return shipping info on a piece of paper in the box. The day the get it they call you, tell you the damage, take your CC#, charge you the repair cost plus shipping. Honest and real drama free. If they cannot fix it they tell you then. No BS. KJR

• manther

Posted May 08, 2008 - 06:46 AM

Nice! thanks.

• manther

Posted May 08, 2008 - 06:52 AM

Bummer, looks like they don't have anything for my '99wr400, or my brother in laws '98 yz400. Too old!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • manther

Posted May 08, 2008 - 07:53 AM

BTW if anyone has a right radiator that will fit a '98 yz400, please let me know, maybe we can work something out. I can pay cash or I have a ton of '99wr400 parts to trade.

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 08, 2008 - 08:21 AM

Manther - Devol guards are better than nothing, they definitely make them for the 99's and they do offer some side impact protection but not much when compared to the Unabikers.

If you can't find a used radiator and Mylers cannot fix the one you have, make sure you check out Fluidyne Rads... you can get a set for just a little more than you would pay for just one OEM radiator and they are by far the best radiators you can get... they look like they belong in a NASCAR :eek:

• mxracernumber1

Posted May 08, 2008 - 08:34 AM

keep an eye on ebay. also, go to google & type in "yamaha motorcycle online microfische". There are lots of dealer websites with online parts microfishces of genuine factory leftovers. Do shop around. Prices can vary as much as 15-20% & that could pay for the shipping. I've used these sites hundreds of tiumes & the parts are genuine factory parts.

• LOVERofTHE400

Posted May 08, 2008 - 11:57 AM

Actually I wasn't doing a hill climb I was coming down the hill in a rut and the front tire was trying to "jump rut" and the bike didn't agree so yeah I tumbled and busted a fitting completely off the bottom of the radiator.

• manther

Posted May 08, 2008 - 12:22 PM

Actually I wasn't doing a hill climb I was coming down the hill in a rut and the front tire was trying to "jump rut" and the bike didn't agree so yeah I tumbled and busted a fitting completely off the bottom of the radiator.

Hey you got a picture of the damage?

• kjr247

Posted May 08, 2008 - 04:34 PM

If you find one on e-bay act quickly...they sell fast even without a buy it now. People will back door the auction to snatch them.

I slapped a pair of Flatlands on mine and I think they are pretty stout. KJR

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.