426 starts hard

2 replies to this topic
  • rufusz

Posted May 06, 2008 - 10:18 PM

Hi

I've got a 2002 426 with HotCams exhaust cam with AD. Problem is starting the bike when cold. Procedure : Pull choke, give 2 (max3) full throttle, kick. Bike starts but stalls after 1-2 seconds, procedure again, starts, stalls after couple seconds. Basically I have to "start it" 3 or 4 times before it will idle normally.
This happens only when I don't ride for a couple of days, starting when hot or after resting is no problem, starts on first kick.
Any ideas?

Thx

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted May 07, 2008 - 05:21 AM

Try starting it without the choke on.

• BASSic

Posted May 07, 2008 - 06:25 AM

The whole point of twisting the throttle is to get the accelerator pump to squirt some fuel into the engine. When you twist the throttle prior to starting a cold engine, try holding it for a second or two to ensure the AP has time to deliver the fuel.

A few times I have experienced the symptoms you described. After taking the throttle cable cover off my carb, I realized the AP linkage doesn't move as freely as it should. I'm due for a thorough carb cleaning anyway, and this is something I'll be focusing on.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.