shop cabinets - recommendations?

4 replies to this topic
  • Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted February 05, 2001 - 12:08 PM

It's time for me to get started setting up the garage in our new house. It's a two car attached garage - the second story bedrooms are over the garage.

Anybody got any recommendations on particular brands of cabinets? I need floor to ceiling storage cabinets, wall cabinets for over the workbench, base cabinets with good/solid tops for a workbench & I'd really like something that has sliding trays like you see in kitchens now.

Thanks,
Brian

• Bill

Posted February 05, 2001 - 04:04 PM

Brian,

Good job buddy, I was just going to post this question. Our house will be done in April and I want to figure out what this will cost before the wife does :)

I'm going to make my own work bench, 4x4 legs daidoed (sp?) to accept 2x4 bracing and a shelf about a foot off the floor. I'll use a solid core, wood door for the top. I had one like this in a previous shop and it works great and can't be beaten. I also mounted a 2x4 on the wall parallel to the bench, so the bottom of the top brace can rest on it. Then I screwed all of this into the wall. It was super strong and when sawing something in the vise, no movement.

I would love to have matching cabinets for the shop, but may have to buy some as salvage from a re-model or something.

Help us out guys.

Bill

------------------
86TT225, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • imported_Scott_H

Posted February 05, 2001 - 09:23 PM

I installed eight overhead two door cabinets made by Mills Pride about a year ago. They have been super durable and still look really good. I picked them up from Home Depot fot about $45 each. They went together easily and I had no problem installing them by myself using a floor jack to hold them in position while attaching them to the wall. Check out http://www.millsprid...s/stor_main.htm for more info. I am sure there are other brands out there that are just as good quality, so shop around.

• darbsitton

Posted February 06, 2001 - 07:29 AM

Having a small garage, I made a set of shelves that start at just over handlebar height so that I can tuck my bikes under them. Used 2x4, 4x4 and 3/4" plywood.

Made a workbench out of 4x4s and glulams (sp?) I used 2 2'x5' glulams as the work surface.

Rented a house once where the old metal kitchen cabinets were used in the garage. Counter top was wood and it made a good low cost work surface.

• Mike_in_Silicon_valley

Posted February 06, 2001 - 07:53 AM

I bought a lab table from a surplus furniture dealer. It's frame is made of 2" powder coated tube steel and has an 1-1/2" solid top with a white laminate cover. This is a commercial grade bench. I've had it for so long I can't remember exactly what I payed for it (I think around $180). It will take some leg work on your part but I think you'll find it well worth it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.