kick start x elec start

32 replies to this topic
  • WR450FGreg

Posted May 07, 2008 - 12:20 PM

I virtually never use my electric start on my '08 WR450F.

When I first got it (about a month ago) I couldn't kick-start it at all, due partly to:
a) my absence from dirt biking (and kick starters) for the past 10 years
:eek: my (short) height (5'8")

I became determined to get the hang of kick starting this bike!

Once I worked out how incredibly easy it is to kick start (ie. never use any throttle) I just kept kicking it.

I reckon out of 100 start-ups in the time I've owned it I've only used the electric start about 10 times max.

I look at it this way: I'm saving the electric start for when I really need it! I know it won't fail me because it will still be like new!

Greg

• djrevz

Posted May 08, 2008 - 12:23 AM

what problems do u get with e starts then anyway as all i am hearing is that there always unreliable.

• William1

Posted May 08, 2008 - 03:36 AM

For the most part, they are extremely reliable. Of course, your battery has to be in good condition. But as with anything, time takes its' toll, and there are instances of bad luck. You always read about the bad luck. If everyone posts how everything was working flawlessly, the forum would have a trillion threads already.

• Alternative

Posted May 08, 2008 - 05:04 AM

I've owned my WR426 for over a year now and one thing (among many) I liked about it was the fact it didn't have a battery/e-start, it's one less thing to go wrong. Once I got the jetting right I've never had a problem starting it (it did have an auto-decomp cam in it already), and I've never found my 5'8" height a problem. I remember the guy I bought it off going on about how he was over 6' and had to stand on the pegs to kick it cause the kicker was so high. I've never had to do this, maybe I'm just flexible.

• Zsebi-2

Posted May 08, 2008 - 06:02 AM

For the most part, they are extremely reliable. Of course, your battery has to be in good condition. But as with anything, time takes its' toll, and there are instances of bad luck. You always read about the bad luck. If everyone posts how everything was working flawlessly, the forum would have a trillion threads already.

It's true , no argument there .

But it is a dirt bike! Not that difficult to kick start.

For some, e-start is essential; for others not needed.
If the option would be offered at the dealer to buy this bike- $300 less- without E option that would be awesome.

till then ( to me) e-start is a feature that I pay for and not needed.

• wartsnuff

Posted May 08, 2008 - 06:26 AM

I have a 2008 WR450

i like the e-start. i am short 5'6" and find the feature pretty kewl. so far the bike i started out having to kick start it the first 200km's till the motor loosened up enough for the starter motor to crank it well enough. but now it starts so well. half kick, or just 1-2 sec push of the button.

works flawlessly either way on my bike. thanks yammi !

pretty happy with this machine so far. need to make the front forks better. to soft for me.

anyhow
cheers
Warts

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted May 08, 2008 - 07:10 AM

It's true , no argument there .

But it is a dirt bike! Not that difficult to kick start.

For some, e-start is essential; for others not needed.
If the option would be offered at the dealer to buy this bike- $300 less- without E option that would be awesome.

till then ( to me) e-start is a feature that I pay for and not needed.

LOL, that is called a YZ. Many that feel the way you do buy a YZ, and do a trans swap.

For some (like me with a 27" inseam), they cannot easily/possibly kick the bike with the other foot on the ground. It means kickstand down, climb on, foot on the left peg and kick. While doing this, have to hope the ground if firm enough to keep the kick stand from sinking and relatively flat. either that or a milk crate. Then many have dual sported the bike, having a full size battery is needed in some states to pass inspection. Also handy to have as a electrical power buffer when sensitive electronics like a GPS is used.

• byggd

Posted May 08, 2008 - 12:38 PM

Many that feel the way you do buy a YZ, and do a trans swap.

Doesn't the YZ come with a 5 speed now?

• JSanfilippo

Posted May 08, 2008 - 12:55 PM

Doesn't the YZ come with a 5 speed now?

He is talking about the low 1st, tall 4th and 5th of the WR. There is a big difference in the ratios between a YZ and a WR

• 450-F

Posted May 08, 2008 - 03:36 PM

I broke my e-button this weekend in a fall. 3 hr drive from home. If I couldn't of kick started the bike, one of the best weekends of riding would of been over.
If you want a WR without a e-button, take off the button and start kicken. I ordered my new button on Monday, got a race this weekend, no way em I going to race without my joy-button. Jeff S

But when I go to sell it, then I gotta put all that stuff back on, something I don't want to do.

• WR450FGreg

Posted May 08, 2008 - 11:18 PM

For some (like me with a 27" inseam), they cannot easily/possibly kick the bike with the other foot on the ground.

William1,

I just measured my own inseam and it's identical to yours.
My left foot never has to leave the ground, I sit (very) lopsided on the bike and give it a single, half-hearted kick and it fires up pretty much every time. (Even from dead cold on the choke!)
Once in a while (if I stuff it up) I might have to give it 2 or 3 kicks but that's it!
If I'm in a hurry or lazy I might use the e-start but that's very, very rarely.

The mistake I was making when i first got the bike was I was trying to find the compression stroke etc. (it's been a long time since I owned a 4 stroke dirt bike!) and give it a huge kick.
These days the bikes have come so far that all you need to do is give it a bit of a kick and she'll start up straight away.

Maybe I'm lucky with my particular machine, but I am astounded at how easily it starts for such a high performance bike!

Greg

• William1

Posted May 09, 2008 - 01:38 AM

Hey Greg, I bet you are a bit youger than me too. I am two knee replacements down, close to needing a hip and a refurb on one of the knees. Not as flexible as I once was. LOL, I groan a bit just swinging my leg over the seat!

• WR450FGreg

Posted May 09, 2008 - 04:10 PM

William1,

I feel for you mate!

I'm 44 and have had arthroscopic surgery on both knees (years ago) and a hernia operation last year, but none of it gives me any problem any more.

The more I think about it the more I become convinced that I just managed to be lucky enough to score an incredibly easy to start WR450F.

:thumbsup:

Greg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.