kick start x elec start

32 replies to this topic
  • djrevz

Posted May 06, 2008 - 02:33 PM

what the hell is up with the drz 400sm its a enduro, so y does it not have a kick start it defeats the object of an offroad style bike don't you all think. a few people i no that own cbr's, zxrs etc say that there is no point in kick starts and should all be elec start

Y, how many of you that ride these awesome wr's would rather use an elec start to the kick start? place votes

(I THINK ITS LAZY HOW THE WORLD IS GETTING THESE DAYS)

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 06, 2008 - 02:52 PM

1 for e-start (when it works:banghead:)

• 450-F

Posted May 06, 2008 - 02:53 PM

I'd rather kick start, I wish they made a wr with no electric start for those who wanted it.

• rozero1234

Posted May 06, 2008 - 03:11 PM

they both have their place. i can think of many places on my rides where an electric start would have saved me lots of time, and effort. if where you live is as flat as a pancake, then youve got no prob with the kick. but i've been in a good number of situations here in north california that make kicking it over pretty awkward.
i used to own a drz-sm and i really missed having a kick start.

• ETP

Posted May 06, 2008 - 05:50 PM

Prefer electric start, but glad the kick start is there. I ride my bike way into the back country from time to time, and I'd much rather have a backup starting method if the battery got weak or electric start system malfunctioned.
These newer thumpers don't push start that easy either.......

• tweav

Posted May 06, 2008 - 09:00 PM

I like the ez button but it does not always work and I have a rekluse clutch in my bike too and I don't think it will push start . and to quote me :

To be honest now that I put the Yz cam in my wr I do use the kicker some times . The bike does not seem to have as much compression while cranking so sometimes it doesn't want to start with the ez button , but 1 quick stab on the kicker and it fires right up . it is also easier to kick with the yz cam. So don't throw out your kicker yet.

also a Drz's engine is not near as radical as wr's . the large bore / short stroke along with the high compression make the wr's
e-starter kind of undependable . how many of you have cranked your wr and it just stop dead ? clunk ? top dead center on the compression stroke . then pull out the kicker to get it loose? I'm sure I have at least 20 times .

e-z start is nice ,but the kicker is there because it has to be.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 06, 2008 - 09:45 PM

what the hell is up with the drz 400sm its a enduro, so y does it not have a kick start it defeats the object of an offroad style bike don't you all think. a few people i no that own cbr's, zxrs etc say that there is no point in kick starts and should all be elec start

Y, how many of you that ride these awesome wr's would rather use an elec start to the kick start? place votes

(I THINK ITS LAZY HOW THE WORLD IS GETTING THESE DAYS)

Since this is a yamaha wr forum, the correct response is

sell the drz and get a wr:prof:

• djrevz

Posted May 06, 2008 - 11:14 PM

Since this is a yamaha wr forum, the correct response is

sell the drz and get a wr:prof:

no no no no no I DO NOT HAVE A DRZ 400SM NO WAY LOL a friend of mine has 1 and i think it is ridiculous that it has no kick start I'm getting a wr (02 426 they dont have estarts) in the next few weeks,

thank you (450-f) i agree with you cuz i will be getting a 08 wr450 in around 6 months as well and the only thing that puts me off is the e start. you must be able to get engine cases from older models that should fit shorly :eek:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 07, 2008 - 06:38 AM

no no no no no I DO NOT HAVE A DRZ 400SM NO WAY LOL a friend of mine has 1 and i think it is ridiculous that it has no kick start I'm getting a wr (02 426 they dont have estarts) in the next few weeks,

thank you (450-f) i agree with you cuz i will be getting a 08 wr450 in around 6 months as well and the only thing that puts me off is the e start. you must be able to get engine cases from older models that should fit shorly :eek:

OK... understood. good luck with your new bike (when you get it)

so you know... they do sell a kick starter kit for the drz400. In the US, its about $220

That way you can have the best of both worlds.

• djrevz

Posted May 07, 2008 - 07:01 AM

OK... understood. good luck with your new bike (when you get it)

so you know... they do sell a kick starter kit for the drz400. In the US, its about $220

That way you can have the best of both worlds.

drz sm is a enduro so y does it not have a kick start standard its stupid.
suzuki were trying to sell me a new drz400sm and i just kept saying i prefer a wr he would not take the hint and kept saying its not reliable that's a sale's prick for you tho enit!:eek:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jeff_Steckline

Posted May 07, 2008 - 07:15 AM

I'd rather kick start, I wish they made a wr with no electric start for those who wanted it.

I broke my e-button this weekend in a fall. 3 hr drive from home. If I couldn't of kick started the bike, one of the best weekends of riding would of been over.
If you want a WR without a e-button, take off the button and start kicken. I ordered my new button on Monday, got a race this weekend, no way em I going to race without my joy-button. Jeff S

• William1

Posted May 07, 2008 - 07:36 AM

I have both. DRZ 'SM 'is not an enduro, it is a street bike though the 'S' is. True, a kick starter on a DRZ 'S' makes sense. It can be added fairly easily.

I use the E button on my WR. I have never kicked it. It is there, it is easy, causes no wear or tear so use it. For me, the kicker is for when the battery is dead and I am not on a hill pointing down. Kicking for the sake of kicking makes little sense unless you want the exercise or for you it is part of the riding 'experience'.

• djrevz

Posted May 07, 2008 - 08:24 AM

I have both. DRZ 'SM 'is not an enduro, it is a street bike though the 'S' is. True, a kick starter on a DRZ 'S' makes sense. It can be added fairly easily.

I use the E button on my WR. I have never kicked it. It is there, it is easy, causes no wear or tear so use it. For me, the kicker is for when the battery is dead and I am not on a hill pointing down. Kicking for the sake of kicking makes little sense unless you want the exercise or for you it is part of the riding 'experience'.

i understand were u r coming from completely but the drz is still the same style as wr's and others and fitting a kick it costs a few hundred how stupid lol it should be standard Suzuki just could not be assed, i no it makes sense using the e start but i look at a bike and when u have the starter motor there it looks ugly and bulky, i think it should be 1 or the other, i probably sound stupid but at least I'm not alone

if ur on a hill facing down like u say then bump it :eek:

p.s if u read this "frostbite" then tell me ur thoughts.

• Zsebi-2

Posted May 07, 2008 - 08:40 AM

I just responded to another post about "unidentified lever" but I feel that I should copy the response here.

Myself.... I don't care for E start, it is a dirt bike, leave the luxury at home.
It meant to be kick started. If you have difficulty kick starting the beast such as knee issues than that is cool, but if you are lazy that is an other thing.

Call me old fashioned,but I've been riding dirt bikes since I was 12, Now I am almost 40. I like to have a dirt bike that is light or as light it can be with out the extra clutter. When I go riding, having the luxury of an E start does not excite me. I know others may feel different.
The Wr450s come with electric start , so that is how it is, It would be nice to have the option not to have it. Actually the option is there it is called a YZ, but I am not a motocross rider, just an enthusiastic trail rider.

Here is a picture of a 426 , one of last kind before E-start on a bigbore.
I like to show it to those who may not seen what its like to have a bit of room to work on your bike.
Posted Image

• Charles De Mar

Posted May 07, 2008 - 08:55 AM

I have very short legs and ride difficult single track in the mountains of Montana. I've been stuck a few time where the kick start is just too cumbersome. I have also blown a fuse disabling the e-start and what a bunch of wasted energy that day. I bought my bike because of the e-start and headlight. If I didn't need those I would have bought a YZ450. Why you would buy a wr and insist on kicking it, remove the e-start and headlight I don't know. That's like buying a 250f and spending high dollars for big bore kits and modifications to get it to run w/ a 450f:crazy: I'll kick mine over when the bike is cold so I don't kill the battery cranking it. Not that it takes long to start when jetted right and properly maintained.

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 07, 2008 - 09:29 AM

I just responded to another post about "unidentified lever" but I feel that I should copy the response here.

Myself.... I don't care for E start, it is a dirt bike, leave the luxury at home.
It meant to be kick started. If you have difficulty kick starting the beast such as knee issues than that is cool, but if you are lazy that is an other thing.

Call me old fashioned,but I've been riding dirt bikes since I was 12, Now I am almost 40. I like to have a dirt bike that is light or as light it can be with out the extra clutter. When I go riding, having the luxury of an E start does not excite me. I know others may feel different.
The Wr450s come with electric start , so that is how it is, It would be nice to have the option not to have it. Actually the option is there it is called a YZ, but I am not a motocross rider, just an enthusiastic trail rider.

Here is a picture of a 426 , one of last kind before E-start on a bigbore.
I like to show it to those who may not seen what its like to have a bit of room to work on your bike.
Posted Image

I have had 4 WR450's.... 2 with and 2 without e-start.... I'm not lazy, I race them competitively in an "A" class and I can tell you that just from a racing perspective the e-start is a huge benefit:thumbsup:

Clip the blu/wht wire and you have a bike that will be first to the turn on a dead engine start.... when it's working right, there are many factors into making the e-start work fast and reliably :eek:

• Zsebi-2

Posted May 07, 2008 - 10:55 AM

If I didn't need those I would have bought a YZ450. Why you would buy a wr and insist on kicking it, remove the e-start and headlight I don't know. That's like buying a 250f and spending high dollars for big bore kits and modifications to get it to run w/ a 450f:crazy: .

I buy the WR because of the WR= Wide ratio trans. YZs have tall 1,2,3 gears and short 4,5. it is not trail friendly.
has larger radiator for riding in technical trail vs. blasting on a MX track nonstop= YZ.
WR has spark arrestor, forest approved. Not as loud.
has softer suspension, made for trails, not for MX or jumping.

Once the e start is on it from the factory , I would not want to remove it just to save weight, that is nonsense, but surely would be nice to have the option to buy with or without E

I am considering an MX bike (for trial riding) for my next purchase.

this is a dilemma many enduro and HS racers face: trying to convert a light MX bike to meet trail/forest conditions or by the trail bike and try to lighten it.

It is personal preference for sure , there is right or wrong answer here.

PS: I think a light version WR ( no e-start, no light , no key, no digital this digital that... ) would sell like hot cake.

• Lowedog

Posted May 07, 2008 - 11:23 AM

After puting over 5000 mostly woods miles on my '03 WR 450 and switching to a 2006 YZ 450 in '06 the only thing I do miss from the WR is the magic button and 5th gear. The YZ is an awesome woods machine. The close ratio tranny is awesome for the trails. When I jump on a WR now 1st gear is useless to me. I have to keep reminding myself not to shift into it.

The suspension on the YZ is killer. Just run the comp at full soft for the trails and it soaks up everything and you can still jump off things that will make the WR cringe.

The e-start is a huge benefit though. When I stalled my WR in water crossings I could light back up without getting my feet wet! Not the case with the YZ:cry:

Also get out in the open and the WR will walk away from the YZ after about 50mph.

-Lowedog

• matt4x4

Posted May 07, 2008 - 11:34 AM

I think E-start is 30+ pounds I'd rather have on the wife's bike (ducks for cover).

• byggd

Posted May 07, 2008 - 11:57 AM

I must admit an e-start would come in handy when I stall trying to crawl up a technical hill climb but to have just e-start is crazy IMO. What if the battery decides to short out 1-day into a multi day trip? No buano.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.