Suspension Setup

5 replies to this topic
  • Coastie3202

Posted May 06, 2008 - 02:09 PM

Okay...time to rely on the expertise lurking on this forum.

I have a 2007 YZ450F. I have set the race sag, have the front and rear rebound and compression set to factory setting (according to shop manual).

I weight 210 pounds with all riding gear on, and am 6'2".

The suspension, as set, works well for me in the desert on sandy trails with a lot of whoops. But I'm getting ready to start riding in the mountains. Trails have a lot of rocks, single track, tree roots, etc.

What are recommendations for suspension setup as a starting point? I know I have to go softer unless I want to be beat to death and thrown all over the trail. I am wondering what others of same weight, height, and riding conditions are running.

Your help is appreciated. :eek:

• Lowedog

Posted May 06, 2008 - 03:48 PM

I run my comp full soft front and back for woods which is what I ride 95% of the time. I have sub tanks on my forks which really help soak up trail trash. I also run my sag at about 105 mm on the back.

I will be trying DaveJ's suspension fluid here shortly after reading the reviews by Greyracer and others.

-Lowedog

• Coastie3202

Posted May 06, 2008 - 07:05 PM

I run my comp full soft front and back for woods which is what I ride 95% of the time. I have sub tanks on my forks which really help soak up trail trash. I also run my sag at about 105 mm on the back.

I will be trying DaveJ's suspension fluid here shortly after reading the reviews by Greyracer and others.

-Lowedog

Please explain "sub tanks". I will try the full soft on compression. Do you adjust rebound at all, or should I leave it set at factory since it seems to work for me in the desert?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Lowedog

Posted May 07, 2008 - 06:12 AM

Sub tanks are basically a small air chamber that gives your forks more air volume which helps to soak up small to medium hits. There are many aftermarket brands out there. I made my own.

Posted Image

I run my rebound near factory settings but it's something you will have to mess with if it's not right. Sounds like it should be real close for you though.

-Lowedog

• MisterG

Posted May 22, 2008 - 09:42 AM

Hi Lowedog, smart looking subs. I have a spare set of Enzo sub tanks off my old YZ450, have thought of fitting them to my 07. But I'm a bit put off in having to drill and tap into the cartridge cap of these newer Kayaba forks - Did you do this or did you source an adaptor to screw straight into the existing vent plug? (is it about an M4 thread?). Cheers.

• Family Man

Posted May 22, 2008 - 12:49 PM

I run a 5.8 kg spring in the rear and set the compression clicker at 6 out from bottomed, didnt change the rebound. Also, I set the front fork compression clickers at 9 clicks out, didnt change the springs on the forks. Works great for me at 200 pounds and six foot tall. This is the setup Ive found thats works for me track trail, whatever. If you go super duper soft it will bottom super easy and to0 stiff and it will make your hands go numb on the small bumps. I also moved the stock bars to plus one forward. and added a Whitebros2 aluminum pro and Oring mod, and 50tooth rear sprocket, and an Orn6 chain. Play around with your suspension untill you find what works best for you.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.