bogs over whoops?

5 replies to this topic
  • Mike Martel

Posted May 06, 2008 - 07:16 AM

I just put a new piston and rings in my 06 yz450f. On the first test ride I went to a new riding area in the woods. this place was very tight and dangerous; never shifted out of 1st or second. The bike ran fine but got a little hot of course. I crashed while crossing a big log in the trail. the bike would not start for about 10 minutes. I had to turn the gas off and hold it wide open to get it to fire. Once going again the bike ran fine as long as i didn't hit any whoops. Every time i hit a bump bigger than a foot high the bike would bog out and then return to normal operation once over the bump. I did notice my gas tank seemed to be bulging out my radiotor shrouds on each side of the bike. Gas was also coming out of the gas tank cap before the vent house. I rode to the truck and went home. I fired the bike up the next day and it started second kick. Any idea what the problem was here?

• Pezman04wrx

Posted May 06, 2008 - 07:19 AM

Bad gas cap vent? ...

• Mike Martel

Posted May 06, 2008 - 07:21 AM

that is what i was thinking but after all the work i did on the bike i was not sure. I took the bike apart 6 times before i could get it to start. one of the shims slipped off the lifter messing up the valve clearance on 2 intake valves. Once i got that figured out it cranked write up. I will try and replace the hose.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slinkyman16

Posted May 06, 2008 - 08:30 AM

did you put in a hi-comp piston? if so you may need to change the jetting, or it could be that you have a bad tank vent...

• grayracer513

Posted May 06, 2008 - 10:40 AM

Sounds like float level to me. Check to see if it's too low.

• William1

Posted May 06, 2008 - 11:14 AM

+2 on the float level.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.