2001 WR426 Coolant Recovery Bottle ?

3 replies to this topic
  • Go2sno

Posted May 06, 2008 - 05:44 AM

I recently picked up a nice 2001 WR426 that likes to spill some coolant when I am finished riding. My question, did all '01 wr426's come with a coolant recovery system from the factory? My parts manual shows it and I can see where it would mount. However, the bottle and hoses are non-existent. The overflow line comes directly out of the radiator and routes down the frame tube to spill on the ground.

I ride alot of tight singles that will definitely cause the bike to get warm. Should I be looking to reinstall the recovery bottle? I know it is a little extra weight, but it would be better than running to low on coolant.

• bigdrtrdr

Posted May 06, 2008 - 06:32 AM

The weight is really not an issue.
I never thought my recovery tank did anything until I removed it.
Same thing as you I ride a lot of tight single track and was losing coolant all the time.
Fortunatly I left all the tubing in place so reinsatalling the tank was a breeze.
Try to find one on ebay cheap.
Good luck,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • face_plant

Posted May 06, 2008 - 12:09 PM

it also helps to equalize pressure in the rad
if you ever get a full boil over you will wish u had it

i keep mine topped off now
last boil i had i only had to add 20 oz of water too bad it was my last water bottle i had
always the motto bike b4 self

• Zsebi-2

Posted May 06, 2008 - 08:29 PM

yes the all WRs have coolant overflow from the factory. my 1998 (this was the first year modern WR, 400cc) had one and all 250 400 426 and 450 WRs.
YZs don't have it.

It mount under the rear fender on the left side on the sub frame.
It is a must have unless you ride motocross, or you never slowdown.
Keep in mind( with a filled radiator)when coolant gets hot it expands it needs to go somewhere. to the ground or to the overflow bottle.
When your bike cools coolant volume decrease, create negative pressure in the cooling system, and pulls in air or coolant from the reservoir.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.