Ive search and searched with no answer to my 426 gray wire mod!!

10 replies to this topic
  • skibum_1260

Posted May 05, 2008 - 08:13 PM

allright ive been looking for the past half hour trying to find exact information on this but to no luck, so please dont send me any links as i think ive seen them all! just a simple question, on a 01 wr426 is there a gray wire to disconnect, the only one i see on the bike and the only one thats in the wiring diagram in the manual is the one that goes to the kill switch, any help? thanks.

• Birdy426

Posted May 05, 2008 - 08:48 PM

Yes, there is a gray wire. It's light gray. This is for the 250, but the 426/450 is the same...

http://www.thumperfa...m/gray_wire.htm

• clark4131

Posted May 06, 2008 - 06:44 AM

The 426 grey wire issue is a little goofy. Depending on the year or the bike, it's different. There is a 2-pin and 6-pin connector on the bike, one of which contains the grey wire. It's the ONLY grey one on the bike, so just unplug that one. Make sure it's clean and not just a dirty white wire...SC

• skibum_1260

Posted May 06, 2008 - 07:15 AM

thats what im saying, the only gray wire on the bike runs from the cdi to the kill switch, this cant possibly remap it can it?

• byggd

Posted May 06, 2008 - 11:35 AM

I ran into the same issue after buying my 02. Most all the posts talk about a "6 wire" connector but on the 01 and 02 it's a "2 wire connector". Sorry about the crappy scan, it seems after they got bought photobucket has gone down hill but in the lower left you have a Gy (gray) and B (black) wire connector. If you shoot me you email I can send you a much clearer file.
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Go2sno

Posted May 06, 2008 - 12:42 PM

On my '01 WR426 it was in a two pin connector under the tank One black wire and one Gray. The gray was very light almost like a dirty white color. I used a small screw driver to disengage the brass terminal from the connector, put a small piece of heat-shrink on it and taped it up in case I ever choose to reinstall.

The mapping has been explained to me as follows: The cdi has a two separate maps, one for the wr to accommodate the throttle stop and the choked exhaust and one for the yz. When the cdi senses a ground from the gray wire it uses the wr map, no ground and it uses the yz map. By disconnecting the gray wire, the cdi defaults to the yz map.

• maxtherat

Posted May 06, 2008 - 05:59 PM

My grey wire was also in a two pin connector. Mine was paired with a black wire w/ a white stripe so don't get caught off gaurd if yours is the same. It's under the back bone of the frame just to the right a bit.

• martin450

Posted May 10, 2008 - 02:05 PM

I was talking to my yamaha dealer, the big boss man himself and he says the grey wire mod makes no diffference whatsoever and is a waste of time , this man knows his stuff btw.

• wobblyknobby

Posted May 10, 2008 - 07:18 PM

I was talking to my yamaha dealer, the big boss man himself and he says the grey wire mod makes no diffference whatsoever and is a waste of time , this man knows his stuff btw.

lmao :thumbsup: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :crazy: :bonk: :mad: :p :p

• clark4131

Posted May 11, 2008 - 05:15 AM

Then I guess coming here is also a waste of time for you, no? :thumbsup:...SC

• Zsebi-2

Posted May 11, 2008 - 05:54 PM

I would say it with certainty that any one who did the grey wire mod will disagree with " Bigbossman".

on my WR250 I had the grey wire mod but instead of disconnect I put a yamaha head ligh ON-OFF switch inline with the grey wire. This way it can be turned off or on -just like connecting the grey wire or disconnecting.
The only thing is that the bike has to be shut off for the CDI to sense whether the grey wire is grounded or not.

It does make a noticeable difference.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.