Old rider, New to the Forum

7 replies to this topic
  • shifty21

Posted May 05, 2008 - 06:47 PM

I'm gettin old and just bought a YZF400 to ride with my 8 year old son. Looking to slow down first, second..., gear. After reading most opinions, I'm thinking of 12/52. Is this WAY too slow? I grew up riding YZ400 (two strokes) and feel comfortable on a bike, soooo. Also, I have enjoyed reading many "threads" on this site and hope that the suggestions will get me into this forum as well as riding!!

• 642MX

Posted May 05, 2008 - 07:07 PM

I'm gettin old and just bought a YZF400 to ride with my 8 year old son. Looking to slow down first, second..., gear. After reading most opinions, I'm thinking of 12/52. Is this WAY too slow? I grew up riding YZ400 (two strokes) and feel comfortable on a bike, soooo. Also, I have enjoyed reading many "threads" on this site and hope that the suggestions will get me into this forum as well as riding!!

Congrats on getting back into the sport. You wouldn't happen to have one of those YZ400's would you? I've been looking for a 1979 model forever. My Dad had one and I'd love to restore one.

As for your gearing, I'd stay away from the 12 on the front. I used one for a couple rides last year and it wore my chain pretty fast and it squeaked with the 12 tooth. I don't think a 520 O-ring chain likes to be wrapped that tight. I'm currently running a 13/51 and 1st gear is only used when I need to creep though a section at 'walking speed'. The 13/51 works well with MX and woods riding.

Don't forget to keep your oil changed. :eek:

• 1998YZ400F

Posted May 05, 2008 - 07:49 PM

yeah i have the stock sprocket and first is a little tall. i think 51 would be good if you dont mind lowering the top speed, which seems to be the case.

• shifty21

Posted May 08, 2008 - 05:08 PM

Actually, I have two old YZ400's. One is a 75' and the other is a 76'. Thanks for the advice on the front sproket, and I think I'm going to follow it. I will probably end up with a 13/51-52.

On the oil issue, I'm lucky that the bike was just serviced.

I'm hoping to have a ton of fun with this thing!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted May 08, 2008 - 05:22 PM

Actually, I have two old YZ400's. One is a 75' and the other is a 76'. Thanks for the advice on the front sproket, and I think I'm going to follow it. I will probably end up with a 13/51-52.

funny....I am old to.....you have some nice vintage era bikes..how do they run?

• grayracer513

Posted May 08, 2008 - 05:30 PM

...I am old too.....

Yeah, right. Maybe in 5 years.

As Satchel Paige once asked,"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?"

• Ga426owner

Posted May 08, 2008 - 05:39 PM

Yeah, right. Maybe in 5 years.

As Satchel Paige once asked,"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?"

so true Grey......thanks.....I guess today i feel old this week....for a greying aged elderly soon to be 47 yr old with his first baby in the basket due in July......btw I am in your backyard this week.....Carlsbad....now I know why you Cali Boys like it here so much....the weather is pristine and the women ain't to shabby either......

• jayh300

Posted May 08, 2008 - 06:26 PM

hey shifty... the yz400f i had was 13/51 and i had a trail tech computer on it. plenty of low end and would hit 70 no prob. do some research on oil and intervals. I was using non synth and changing it every 5-6 hrs run time. the oil is shared engine and tranny and needs to be changed often. Also don't ride it too slow, it needs air flow to keep it cool.
this is the best sight for knowledge on your bike... bar none
jay

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.