Bored at work

25 replies to this topic
  • armourbl

Posted May 16, 2002 - 11:02 AM

Yesterday, not even 5 minutes apart from each other, I had 2 users come and ask me to make floppy's for them.

The first originally wanted me to burn a CD for them for a file only 56k in size. Funny thing was, they were in a real hurry and "didn't have time for me to show them how to burn a CD."

The next just wanted me to make a copy of an existing floppy. She was frantic because she didn't have access to her bosses computer where the original floppy in her hand had been made. I just looked at her puzzled and told her, "I'm sorry but I don't understand the problem." Then showed her how simple it really is to make a copy of a floppy...

These are the morons that keep us employed.

• The_Missile

Posted May 17, 2002 - 02:39 AM

Flame On: From a moron.....I do kind of get p'd off when I know more about how to fix a problem than the so called professional help desk guys who often times don't listen to what users problems really are, just assume it must be the first thing that comes into their head, and proceed to screw just about everything they lay their mouse pointer on. Lets have a show of hands for all those who have been screwed by the so called geeks! Flame off!!! :)

Posted May 17, 2002 - 03:58 AM

Please keep in mind that helpdesk employees are at the very bottom of the IT food chain. Their experience is limited to screwing up their own home computers or reading a manual and therefore becoming the village idiot, I mean expert. Most (Not all) are wannabee's found under the bridges and overpasses of our major metro areas. They should be passing trouble tickets to qualified technician's in the field....But they just cannot resist the impulse to tinker (most of the time) at the clients expense.

They are the agents of Hanoi put in the mix to screw up your day!

They amuse me more than clients do.....

Bonzai :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • armourbl

Posted May 17, 2002 - 08:23 AM

Where I work there is a central help desk that is actually more like a call center. They pretend to be techs that are able to help with major issues, but never really know how to fix them. They are glorified secretaries for field techs.

More times than not, I mention that I'm a field tech placing a service call for a user problem that is out of my area of expertise -- for example and enterprise software program that I never use. Everytime, they just create a trouble ticket, then sit on it for hours and sometimes days. So, I smartened up and began keeping a contact list of field techs that usually get assigned the trouble tickets. I now just call them directly to resolve issues.

Of course, my "favorite" users get the standard the help desk! LOL

Posted May 17, 2002 - 08:30 AM

Call Center....Another term for "Homeless Shelter"

Bonzai :)

• tychris

Posted May 17, 2002 - 08:55 AM

I told my wife about you since she is a recruiter and she said she they are hiring for jobs in L.A.,the Inland Empire and in San Diego.If your serious you can e-mail her at
Her name is Sarah and her companys name is Finesse Personal in Riverside.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.