Help Needed

2 replies to this topic
  • YZERIK

Posted May 05, 2008 - 12:52 PM

Hey .I`m about to replace my front brake pads and change the brake fluid in my front brake. My bike is an 03 YZ450, ive had the bike almost 3 years, and never done the fluid. I`ve read the brake fluid change article already but had a hard time "understanding" it. can someone give me a quick rundown of what to do, im mechanically inclined but never changed the fluid before.......thanks for your help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 05, 2008 - 01:41 PM

This is the absolute simplest way to change the brake fluid that you will ever find:

Start with the system filled as it is, and leave the old, worn pads in place. DO NOT drain it or pump it out.

Start by pushing the brake pads, out as wide as possible, then pump them back down again. This will help to stir up any sediment in the calipers.

Now open the top of the master cylinder and fill it with new fluid. Leave the cover off, and open the bleeder screw. What you want here is to get the brake fluid to start draining through the system out of the bleeder. You may have to "tickle" the lever a little by moving it very slightly (not more than 5mm or so to get the fluid to start moving, but it should simply drain.

Watch for two things as the fluid runs out. First, never let the reservoir run dry. Add more as needed to keep this from happening. Close the bleeder if you have to. Second, watch for the fluid draining out to become clean and clear. Once this happens, you will have replaced the old fluid with new, and you won't need to bleed it.

• YZERIK

Posted May 05, 2008 - 02:03 PM

Thank you very much Gray, i just talked to the Parts Mangager/ WR expert at the dealership i work at and he said the same thing ( just not as detailed). thanks for your help !

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.