Header Overflow Pipe.

5 replies to this topic
  • Richard56

Posted May 10, 2002 - 03:51 AM

Can we seal the overflow pipe shut??? Oil usually drips from there that is why I'm thinking of sealing it shut?? Will there be any harmful effects or damage to the engine??

• z4me

Posted May 10, 2002 - 04:12 AM

Originally posted by Richard56:
Can we seal the overflow pipe shut???

No.

Oil usually drips from there that is why I'm thinking of sealing it shut??

Is this a question?

Will there be any harmful effects or damage to the engine??

Yes. It is there to equalize pressure in the crankcase. Some people have routed it up behind the number plate and placed an air filter on it to keep it from dripping and sucking up water under certain conditions.

• YAMAKAZE

Posted May 10, 2002 - 06:41 AM

Only if you want to blow out the Rubber Gromets on the side of the head..... I saw one do 15ft once...That was Kind of Cool....

Bonzai :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Richard56

Posted May 10, 2002 - 10:42 PM

Hmm... sound kinda cool to blow up the rubbers. (Joking)

So can we route it behind the radiator then? You know, just beside/near the cap where oyu put your motor oil?

If routed to a higher point, will the oil still drips?

• Guy

Posted May 11, 2002 - 12:33 AM

:) There is a HUGE thread somewhere, imaginatively titled....."crankcase breather" covering all sorts of discussions regarding this little piece of rubber! :D
People have expressed all sorts of concerns re the routing of them and the best ways of dealing with it :D

• MX_Tuner

Posted May 11, 2002 - 03:54 PM

One common reason for excessive oil coming from teh breather hose is overfilling your oil level. It should be at the top of the serrated area on teh dipstick when the motor is scorching hot, not right after you change the oil. Oil expands. If it is full when you change it, it'll be overfull when at operating temp.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.