YZ450 08 steering problem

22 replies to this topic
  • throttle_happy_mike

Posted May 04, 2008 - 05:29 PM

I'm having a problem with the steer geometry on my new yz450 08.
Its fine in the sand and on most mx tracks. but on the hard pack or when I ride enduro loops or loose surface with hard park under neath, the front end feels like it wants to slide out from under neath me. I have measued the offset and think its about 25mm.
what other changes can I make or try befor I got down the line off get a new set if triple trees?
or what offset do you think will fix this?
Or do i need to change my riding style a bit to work with this bike? I can from a KTM exc 250f

cheers

Mike

• KJ790

Posted May 04, 2008 - 06:10 PM

First off, have you tried a different front tire or tire pressure? Do you have the right springs in the bike for your weight? Do you have the sag set? Have you played with any clickers? If not, then start with these things.

• throttle_happy_mike

Posted May 04, 2008 - 08:31 PM

I was running a kenda milleville and changed to a dunlop 956 which did help out in a bit. suspension sag is good on the rear will check the front sag next but the forks a really good sokes but everything. might try backing off the compresson some more.

• Family Man

Posted May 04, 2008 - 10:02 PM

Remember, you ride a dirt bike, some surfaces are just slippery.

• MotoXT

Posted May 05, 2008 - 07:30 AM

I was running a kenda milleville and changed to a dunlop 956 which did help out in a bit. suspension sag is good on the rear will check the front sag next but the forks a really good sokes but everything. might try backing off the compresson some more.

Try slowing rebound first - it will help keep the front weighted a little longer after braking for the corner. Also, you can try to raise the forks a bit in the clamps, and as others have mentioned tire pressure is also key.

• grayracer513

Posted May 05, 2008 - 08:49 AM

Try slowing rebound first - it will help keep the front weighted a little longer after braking for the corner. Also, you can try to raise the forks a bit in the clamps, and as others have mentioned tire pressure is also key.

Actually, too much rebound damping can cause the front to push. When the forks initially compress on a turn entrance, the rebound must occur with enough force to keep the front weighted. If it doesn't push back hard enough, the tire won't stay hooked up, and the front end will wash or run wide. If rebounds too hard, it may make some bikes run inside out of ruts and contribute to knifing in.

Sag and fork height are important settings on YZ450's Try raising the forks and decreasing the sag, as has been suggested.

• Pappy141

Posted May 07, 2008 - 07:07 AM

I've also read that replacing the 120 rear tire with a 110 helps the push...This was in the MXA test of that bike. I have a new 110 in my garage but I'm too cheap to switch them out until my 120 is worn out. Proper sag and a new 756 front tire lessoned the push somewhat for me. Anyone have any success with the 110 rear?

• Justin89

Posted May 07, 2008 - 08:07 AM

Did you not like the 742FA front tire? I put that tire on my 2006 and it made a world of turning differences.

• grayracer513

Posted May 07, 2008 - 09:01 AM

Did you not like the 742FA front tire? I put that tire on my 2006 and it made a world of turning differences.

I was very disappointed with the 742FA. It did work nicely under a limited set of circumstances, but it performed very poorly on hard pack, and in sand or deep coarse gravel, it felt like the front wheel was sitting on a trash can lid. :eek:

• Pappy141

Posted May 07, 2008 - 10:31 AM

I didn't like the 742FA either...Felt like a run away train on hard pack and mud.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Justin89

Posted May 07, 2008 - 05:23 PM

I love the 742FA...I ride mostly track though, that's a loamy sand/mud mix. I tried the 756 and I thought it was way too narrow...I thought that I was riding on a pizza cutter. I also tried the stock 739 and it was alright for hard- pack terrain but wasn't good on soft surfaces. But like I said, this is for me. I got turned on to the 742FA from grayracer on thread here...and have never looked back. I'm prolly wrong but isn't that why Yamaha switched to the 742FA? I dont want to start another tire battle here but just wondering...I'm done now...lol

• grayracer513

Posted May 07, 2008 - 06:15 PM

Well, it's an improvement over the 739, there's no doubt of that. I first tried the tire at Cahuilla Creek, where it worked very well. But riding it at Amago was a different story, and it truly sucked in the desert.

• Pappy141

Posted May 08, 2008 - 05:36 AM

I try to find a tire that works well in everything and the 756 does that for me. I just never came to terms with the 742FA, too narrow of a terrain focus. The track that I race at starts out muddy, turns loamy and then dries out to a hardpack. We race for an hour so I need something that covers all the bases.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted May 08, 2008 - 06:27 AM

I'm having a problem with the steer geometry on my new yz450 08.
Its fine in the sand and on most mx tracks. but on the hard pack or when I ride enduro loops or loose surface with hard park under neath, the front end feels like it wants to slide out from under neath me. I have measued the offset and think its about 25mm.
what other changes can I make or try befor I got down the line off get a new set if triple trees?
or what offset do you think will fix this?
Or do i need to change my riding style a bit to work with this bike? I can from a KTM exc 250f

cheers

Mike

One thing they talked about that Langston did was run his axel block all the way back.

• grayracer513

Posted May 08, 2008 - 06:43 AM

Pull the forks up 5mm in the clamps, decrease the rear sag 5mm, move the axle back in the slot as far as practical, and get a good front tire. All good tips, and you can tell the difference when they're done.

But the thing that does the most good is to consciously move forward on the bike when cornering. As far forward as you comfortably can. The bike really responds to this.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 08, 2008 - 04:53 PM

Geez........there are better tire choices than those from Dunlop for hardpack and loam in my humble opinion.......what do you all work or have stock in Dunlop
Michelin Ms3....Mh3 my tires of choice
Bridgestone.....whatever

• grayracer513

Posted May 08, 2008 - 05:25 PM

......what do you all work or have stock in Dunlop

No. I refuse to pay the price for Michelins, though.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 08, 2008 - 05:30 PM

No. I refuse to pay the price for Michelins, though.

Ha ha ha......and I thought it was a dis the french thing.....:eek:
ah what are they $10-20 more....I have been buying them for around 125 for both front and rear

• grayracer513

Posted May 08, 2008 - 05:34 PM

Nobody near me deals them like that. I pay about a buck for an F/R set of my Dunlops

• steve_97060

Posted May 08, 2008 - 05:39 PM

I paid 55 for a front MS3... it made a world of difference...:eek:

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.