Tips On Holding Clutch Basket & Torquing Nut???

12 replies to this topic
  • RickSanson

Posted May 04, 2008 - 06:42 AM

The 07 WR450 wants 75nm of torque on the primary clutch nut. Does anyone have a good method of preventing the the clutch from turning while tightening this nut?

Holding the brake isn't enough...

Thanks in advance!

• timoyz1

Posted May 04, 2008 - 06:52 AM

I haven't had mine apart yet, but usually you stick a big common screwdriver in between the primary drive gear and the crank gear.

Never mind. I'm an idiot:bonk: Buy the $35 tool.:eek:

http://motionpro.com...h_holding_tool/

• tweav

Posted May 04, 2008 - 07:00 AM

put the bike in 5th gear then hold the brake. it will hold then

• William1

Posted May 04, 2008 - 09:23 AM

I simply use the correct tool, costs like 20 smackers and is great for holding the hub, CS sprockets and a bunch of other stuff. Looks like a vise grip with three in long fingers at 90 degrees.

• zimak

Posted May 04, 2008 - 10:12 AM

+1 for putting it in 5th gear and have a friend sit on the bike holding the brakes down.

Works for me every time.

• RickSanson

Posted May 04, 2008 - 11:21 AM

5th gear and brakes is the ticket! Duh!

Last weekend I was up on the bank of a small creek, inadvertently hit neutral and I fell off the bike and down about 8 feet! So I shortened neutral which is why I had the clutch out! It works great! Now I have to work to get to neutral...

Thank you!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted May 04, 2008 - 03:20 PM

So I shortened neutral

What does that mean and do?

• Alternative

Posted May 04, 2008 - 05:14 PM

What does that mean and do?

I imagine he modified the selector drum so as to make neutral less obvious, making it harder to accidentally hit it changing form second to first.

• RickSanson

Posted May 05, 2008 - 05:38 AM

Exactly...

See here!

• GCannon

Posted May 05, 2008 - 08:48 AM

Better Price here
http://www.motosport...tegoryName~Dirt

• GCannon

Posted May 05, 2008 - 08:50 AM

Sorry

Link

• Alternative

Posted May 07, 2008 - 07:43 PM

RickSanson, just a question. When you removed the selector star, did you have to remove the whole right side engine cover or just the clutch cover?

• grayracer513

Posted May 08, 2008 - 01:36 PM

put the bike in 5th gear then hold the brake. it will hold then

The way I do it is to simply hold the clutch boss in my hand and run the nut down with the impact wrench, but if I didn't have such a tool, I would put the bike in 5th and lay a 1x2 across the swing arm, through the spokes, as near the rim as possible.

Holding the brake is impractical because it requires you to put the pedal back on just for that.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.