Clutch basket install - alignment of gears??

1 reply to this topic
  • mmelheim

Posted May 04, 2008 - 05:32 AM

I am installing a Rekluse Pro clutch. It is a relatively simple process. I just installed them on my two little thumper KTM 250Fs with no problem. You do not have to pull the basket all the way out for the install, but out of dumb curiosity, I wanted to take a look at the internals and pulled it off to take a view the gears, etc. NOW I CAN'T SEEM TO GET THE OIL PUMP AND KICKSTARTER GEAR TO PROPERLY ALIGN TO ALLOW THE BASKET TO DROP ALL THE WAY BACK IN. I TRIED MOVING THE BOTH THE WHEEL AND KICKSTARTER SLOWLY TO SEE IF IT WOULD DROP. I ALSO MOVED THE OIL PUMP GEAR A FEW MICRONS AT A TIME TO SEE IF THAT WOULD HELP.

IS THERE A TRICK TO THIS? OR DO I JUST NEED MORE PATIENCE? :eek:

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 04, 2008 - 02:41 PM

Patience helps, but you are in charge here. You're lining up 3 gears; the primary set, and the kick starter and oil pump gears, both of which engage the rear of the center gear on the back of the basket. The primary set will likely line up first. From that point, you should be able to put a little inward pressure on the basket and turn the oil pump by hand until you feel it catch. Then, whole still pushing in on the basket, rotate the engine by turning the crank with a wrench and the basket should drop on.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.