2008 450F, Bird in the Canister?

5 replies to this topic
  • Boise93

Posted May 03, 2008 - 07:34 PM

I've noticed a unique sound coming from the area where the mid pipe meets the stock canister on my 2008 450F. The sound can best be describe as a bird chirp, much like a parakeet on steroids. The "chirp" only happens when you roll the throttle on from no gas to gas. The sound is consistent, and I can replicate it now matter the motor temp. All fluids and air cleaner are fresh and the bike only has 8.2 hours on it. The performance of the bike doesn't seem to be affected, but it sure is annoying. It sounds like I'm riding Big Bird!

I was told by the local dealer, also my brother, that the "chirp" was the internal flap opening on the stock canister which occurs when the amount of air passing over the flap from low to high rpms increases. Has anyone heard this noise on their 08 with a stock canister and if so, how did you remedy it? Thanks

• KAS

Posted May 03, 2008 - 07:48 PM

I don't believe there is a "flap" in the exhaust. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

My '07 "chirps" a little, I've always attributed it to air intake noise.

• Boise93

Posted May 03, 2008 - 07:53 PM

I didn't think the canister had a flap either, but I can not confirm this since the canister from 07 to 08 is totally redesigned, and I can't find a cut away view of the 08 canister. The air intake makes since since it was considerably louder when I had the seat off when I put a fresh air filter in this afternoon. Thanks for the reply.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • freerideyz250

Posted May 03, 2008 - 08:23 PM

They all do it. Probaby air velocity moving past the slide at small throttle openings creating a whistle, once the slide opens far enough the velocity over powers the whistle effect.

Similar to when you whistle.

Posted May 03, 2008 - 08:47 PM

my 03 deos something similar to said noise, i think its cool cuz it sounds like a turbo :eek:

• btray

Posted May 04, 2008 - 09:49 PM

Make sure your dealer documents this noise in case something catastrophic happens and just ride the thing

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.