yz400 vs. rm 250 - ADVICE

10 replies to this topic
  • 1eagle1

Posted May 03, 2008 - 07:10 AM

Greetings from a newbie. Just joined TT and need some help. I have 03 RM250 but need to get a green stickered bike to ride year round in California. Have an opportunity to trade for 99 yz400 w/ 426 bore kit. Any thoughts / suggestions about how equal (or not) the trade would be? I know it's hard to say without a ton more specs, but would love some general input.

• 426 NOOB

Posted May 03, 2008 - 07:29 AM

As long as it looks very we kept and and doest knock or pop out of gear when you test ride it, It is a good trade

Posted May 03, 2008 - 07:48 AM

They are close in cost but have you had a chance to ride the 400 as they are two completely different animals?

• rdefonce

Posted May 03, 2008 - 08:05 AM

Greetings from a newbie. Just joined TT and need some help. I have 03 RM250 but need to get a green stickered bike to ride year round in California. Have an opportunity to trade for 99 yz400 w/ 426 bore kit. Any thoughts / suggestions about how equal (or not) the trade would be? I know it's hard to say without a ton more specs, but would love some general input.

I figured that if both bikes are in same shape, the RM would be worth a bit more than the YZ . . . like maybe $500 diff.
Of course we don't have the red/green stickie thing here, guess that could sway values.

I still have my ,99 400F that I bought new, and it's a good handling bike with fun power (426 even more of a good thing!).
However, it's a lot heavier than the RM. As long as you're not riding super tight trails you will love it.

• erickdj

Posted May 03, 2008 - 06:53 PM

I figured that if both bikes are in same shape, the RM would be worth a bit more than the YZ . . . like maybe $500 diff.
Of course we don't have the red/green stickie thing here, guess that could sway values.

I still have my ,99 400F that I bought new, and it's a good handling bike with fun power (426 even more of a good thing!).
However, it's a lot heavier than the RM. As long as you're not riding super tight trails you will love it.

the green sticker does sway the scale in favor of the yz, and the are VERY different bikes, both in power and handling. I'd trade the rm for the yz any day, but I'm a fan of 4 strokes, on the other hand, if the rm were a green sticker I'd keep the rm. don't worry about tight trails on the yz, my dad has a yz400 and that thing is LOTS of fun in the trails. I love that yz400, it has somewhat of a "2-stroke" hit on the midrange that just feels too damn good. Picture it like a 2-stroke with loads of bottom end power and a crazy mid-top end power. Also, the bike doesn't really feel that heavy at all, once you get used to it you don't even feel it at all. If the yz is in "GOOD" shape and has been properly maintained go for it, you'll be glad you can ride year round anywhere and have lots of fun.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2strokenut

Posted May 03, 2008 - 07:11 PM

Going from a lightweight, powerful, snappy low maintenance bike to one that is heavy, slower revving and higher maintenance (400s are reliable but the bikes 8 years old) will be a BIG, HUGE, ENORMOUS dissapointment. If you like how your rm is the 400 will be the exact opposite. Dont do it.

So to the OP, heres what you do: Sell your RM and pick up a 2002 yz250, a bike even better than the RM and will green stickered. DONT TRADE FOR THAT 400. Your going to have a very heavy (and feeling) bike, with less power, and 9 years of wear on the bike. The guy who wants to trade knows hes getting a WAY better deal.

• 1eagle1

Posted May 04, 2008 - 08:08 AM

Thanks for the info.

• 1eagle1

Posted May 04, 2008 - 08:32 AM

You folks are too funny. So, here's my summary...there's a huge gap between oil burner and thumper owner perspectives on the issue and I don't think I will ever get full consensus.:eek: That being said, every post swayed my decision. All I really need is something I can ride year round because my season is essentially over until Octoberish next year. However, I absolutely LOVE everything about my rm and don't want to go backwards in quality or ridability. I like the idea of looking for an 02 2 stroke, but fear all 2's will be out of CA in the near future. I really do appreciate all the input. Now, off to test ride the 400 and get a feel for what you all have so eloquently described.:p

Posted May 04, 2008 - 05:42 PM

You folks are too funny. So, here's my summary...there's a huge gap between oil burner and thumper owner perspectives on the issue and I don't think I will ever get full consensus.:eek: That being said, every post swayed my decision. All I really need is something I can ride year round because my season is essentially over until Octoberish next year. However, I absolutely LOVE everything about my rm and don't want to go backwards in quality or ridability. I like the idea of looking for an 02 2 stroke, but fear all 2's will be out of CA in the near future. I really do appreciate all the input. Now, off to test ride the 400 and get a feel for what you all have so eloquently described.:p

Riding the bike is going to be best. IMO the tighter the trails you ride the more you are going to favor the rm over the yz400. On the flip side, when on fire roads or more open singletrack the 400 will feel more planted and easier to ride. A few things to think about concerning the 400 (maintinance aside).
1) The whole starting ritual (although you get use to it, its not the one kick wonder, especialy on a hill).
2) You know have a compression relase and hot start to fit into that starting ritual.
3) The bike DOES feel heavier, more felt on the trails than the track IMO.
4) I could never get past how the front pushed in corners.
I'm not degrading the 400 as I liked alot of the qualities it had at the time but those were some of the issues that forced me to sell it. As for the rm, like all the other 2strks, they just keep going and going.

• rdefonce

Posted May 08, 2008 - 08:55 AM

So, if the smudgepot is '02 or older, you can green-sticker it?
I must agree with you that will probably change soon.

FWIW, I have both (smoker and stroker) and I like both of them.
2strokenut you must be biased, the YZ 400 is not nearly as bad as you make out to be.
I notice the weight mainly when lifting it onto a stand.

• grayracer513

Posted May 08, 2008 - 09:44 AM

So, if the smudgepot is '02 or older, you can green-sticker it?
I must agree with you that will probably change soon.

In order for it to change, the State will have to completely reconstruct the way that it deals with the issue. The reason it is like this is that the emissions standards were relaxed slightly to comport with Federal standards, which meant that some of the previously red sticker bikes were now green sticker. As a result of litigation, the State had a choice between paying to retest all of the pre-2003 models to see which were in compliance, or simply allow all of them to run green. This sets precedence if the emission standards are toughened.

There is a much more threatening issue afoot in California, and since it involves the BLM, by extension, everywhere else in the country:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=641407

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.