Canadian '04 WR450....questions as to what's right?

7 replies to this topic
  • CanadianWR450

Posted May 02, 2008 - 05:02 PM

Awsome site, tons of info...in fact, I think I'm in overload....

I'm a COMPLETE NOOB to modern dirt bikes (Last one I was on was a '84 XR 500), although I do have street bike experience

I just picked up a 2004 WR450 (Canadian), and I'm seeing some conflicting posts/info...I have looked at dozens of posts...can someone perhaps set me straight on the following?

Free Mods:
- Throttle Stop - does, or does NOT need to be done on a 04 CDN bike?
- Grey Wire - yes, it has it, or, no it does not, or yes it does, but it doesn't do anything??
- Air box, no snorkel on mine...dunno if there ever was one...mods needed?

Any help to ease my poor confused and overloaded brain would be a GREAT help!
Thanks!

• tribalbc

Posted May 03, 2008 - 07:24 AM

I can't really say on a 04 but my 07 needed all the mods. I know they had a throttle stop back then, pretty easy to tell just by twisting the throttle but my guess if it's a 04 is someone's already done it. Gray wire, if it's there as per the 04 just disconnect, can't hurt. If the top of the airbox is open you're good to go.
As far as the exhaust on a 04 goes hopefully someone who's familiar with the 04 can help you out.

• CanadianWR450

Posted May 03, 2008 - 11:16 AM

Thanks for the info...
The exhust is opened, so thats covered, will pull off the tank and look for the infamous grey wire...if I find it, I'll cut it....air box as you said is already opened on top...I'm not going to bother with the template for the ovals...
As for the throttle stop, I figure the best way figure that one out is to pull the boot off the carb, and simply open up the throttle and look inside to see if the slide is fully open....

• ETP

Posted May 03, 2008 - 06:26 PM

Awsome site, tons of info...in fact, I think I'm in overload....

I'm a COMPLETE NOOB to modern dirt bikes (Last one I was on was a '84 XR 500), although I do have street bike experience

I just picked up a 2004 WR450 (Canadian), and I'm seeing some conflicting posts/info...I have looked at dozens of posts...can someone perhaps set me straight on the following?

Free Mods:
- Throttle Stop - does, or does NOT need to be done on a 04 CDN bike?
- Grey Wire - yes, it has it, or, no it does not, or yes it does, but it doesn't do anything??
- Air box, no snorkel on mine...dunno if there ever was one...mods needed?

Any help to ease my poor confused and overloaded brain would be a GREAT help!
Thanks!

Welcome to TT.
I've got a 03 Canadian model WR450 and the only mods I've had to do for performance is a little bit of jetting and a new pipe. The Canadian stock pipe had no spark arrestor which is required here in California, so I mounted an FMF Q Core.
I pretty sure that the Canadian 04 won't need any of the free mods either.
There are tons of other tweaks you can do, so use the search engine. There's lots of info in the archives.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 89TRX350RX

Posted May 06, 2008 - 08:44 AM

As far as pipes go, a YZ/WR 426 (both years) and YZ/WR 450 03-05 exhaust silencers will fit.

Jamie

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 06, 2008 - 12:04 PM

My last bike was an 04' canadian... no mods necessary for grey wire or throttle stop, I think there was a snorkel in the airbox and there was opportunity to open it up and gain some cfm through an air box mod similar to the newer ones.

I opted for an FMF Q and Powerbomb Header, after jetting correctly it was a formidable weapon at the GP's:thumbsup:

• CanadianWR450

Posted May 07, 2008 - 01:14 AM

Well, the throttle goes wide open....
I had it out for the first time last night...what a freeking monster!
It's more like a 2 stroke then any of the old 4 strokes I used to ride!
I never looked for the grey wire, but I can't believe it's there, and if it is, I think I'll leave it there for a bit more until I get used to this thing...
haha!

• Ridon

Posted May 07, 2008 - 02:47 AM

Welcome to TT, although we have the same bike mine is not Canadian. I did the grey wire mod and yes it has a huge difference, as for the throttle stop my bike had the YZ screw from the factory, i also changed the exhaust i putted a Remus Titanium and also Renthal bars.:eek:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.