Total newb...plan to DS an '00 wr400...tips?

8 replies to this topic
  • PoorComa

Posted May 01, 2008 - 06:29 PM

Hey Guys,
I just recently found this forum and register. I also just picked up a 2000 WR400. I'm not new to bikes (8yrs street exp) but I am new to dirt bikes. I've never ridden in the dirt(2 wheels) let alone owned a bike intended for such use, though I have wanted one for as long as I can remember!

My most recent bike was a '96 cbr1k (spent a lot of time over on sportbikes.net) which I totaled back in August of '07. So, I'm ready for another ride and I wanted something that could be used to commute and then hit the desert on the weekends....I think I found an appropriate machine, or so I hope!

I plan to use this to ride to/from work.....so I'm going to need to make it street legal. It will get some offroad use no doubt, but in reality the majority will probably be simply commuting. I'm hoping it will do at least 65 cruising. If I could afford to I'd really like to do a supermoto setup and still have a dirt setup to revert to....we'll see.

Where are some places I could look to get things like blinkers/horn/plastics/graphics/SM wheels etc......

As far as the bike; I got it for $1700 and it seemed fair to me and the bike appears to be in good mechanical shape but what do I know, I'm no mechanic. Is there anything I should know about these bikes? Any common problems? How about common mods and such?

Figure I can expect good things from this machine with my intended purposes?

-Kevin

Posted Image
Posted Image

• Birdy426

Posted May 01, 2008 - 09:06 PM

As far as DSing, you can go a couple of ways...Trick Dual Sport and Baja Designs, among others, make all up kits...(Trick is the cleanest, and provides great customer support), or you can make your own. The head and tail lights are already dual filament (for high/low and brake/tail lights). You can order a combinatio switch from lots of different places (try the TT store, search under K&S). You will need to replace the stock regulator with a regulator/rectifier to make DC for turn signals if AZ requires 'em. K&S flushmount Vs make great, small, out of the way turn signals. You can also order them thru the TT store. You may also need a horn and mirror, again available thru the TT store. You can download a wiring diagram from the Baja Designs website, or just figure it out yourself (it's relly pretty easy). On my WR, I replaced the stock fender/tail light with a YZF fender and Baja Designs LED tail light, as I think it looks cleaner. Pics in my garage.

As far as performance mods, check out Thumperfaq.com for the skinny on free mods. The site is directed toward the 250s, but just about everything but the clutch fix is applicable to the 400s/426s as well. Your scooter probably has most everything done to it already.

From the pics I see you've already got the YZ tank/seat. Great mod. I also see that you're running stock exhaust and no autodecomp cam. If you're on a budget, cruise e-bay for a YZ400/426 exhaust. Several pounds lighter and really improves breathing. Also, the YZ450F exhaust cam mod is about the best mod you could possibly make. Do a search here and you'll find out everything you ever wanted to know. If money isn't that big a deal, there are several aftermarket exhausts that will ake the motor up, and Hot Cams intake and exhaust cams are a great mod.

As far as problems, there weren't many wiht that scooter. They are as reliable as a claw hammer. The stainless steel valves are bullet proof. The small end of the connecting rod is probably the weakest point of the motor. If it finally goes, you can replace the rod with a 426 rod and run a 426 top end. If I remember right, there were some clutch issues as well...but nothing too serious. Change the oil and filter religously, keep the air filter clean, and the bike will not let you down. Oh, one more thing, if you swap to a 426 header (01-02), you won't have to loosen or remove the header to change the oil filter.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 01, 2008 - 09:08 PM

Hey Guys,
I just recently found this forum and register. I also just picked up a 2000 WR400. I'm not new to bikes (8yrs street exp) but I am new to dirt bikes. I've never ridden in the dirt(2 wheels) let alone owned a bike intended for such use, though I have wanted one for as long as I can remember!

My most recent bike was a '96 cbr1k (spent a lot of time over on sportbikes.net) which I totaled back in August of '07. So, I'm ready for another ride and I wanted something that could be used to commute and then hit the desert on the weekends....I think I found an appropriate machine, or so I hope!

I plan to use this to ride to/from work.....so I'm going to need to make it street legal. It will get some offroad use no doubt, but in reality the majority will probably be simply commuting. I'm hoping it will do at least 65 cruising. If I could afford to I'd really like to do a supermoto setup and still have a dirt setup to revert to....we'll see.

Where are some places I could look to get things like blinkers/horn/plastics/graphics/SM wheels etc......

As far as the bike; I got it for $1700 and it seemed fair to me and the bike appears to be in good mechanical shape but what do I know, I'm no mechanic. Is there anything I should know about these bikes? Any common problems? How about common mods and such?

Figure I can expect good things from this machine with my intended purposes?

-Kevin

Posted Image
Posted Image

I think you will like it a lot more for the desert than for commuting. I just don't think wr's make good commuters. However, they are big, big fun in the dirt.

Here are a couple of things.

1. change your oil often since you will be commuting
2. learn to do your own maintenance. Its not hard. Ask questions on this forum and you will get all the answers you need
3. take it easy in the dirt. Its a lot different than riding on teh street.
4. change your oil often (yes, I am being repetitive)
5. get some really good boots to ride in the dirt. Don't skimp on protection.
6. get appropriate dual sport tires. Knobbies can be dangerous on asphalt. Get a tire designed for both street and dirt use.
7. have fun.

• byggd

Posted May 02, 2008 - 02:30 PM

All of the WR lineup from 98 up are very dependable with very few problems. I have a BD kit on my 02 and it's worked well so far but I don't think you even need blinkers to plate it in AZ just a headlamp, tail/brake lamp and a horn. Echo Birdy on the auto decompress mod and if you have more $$ to spend maybe a Rekluse auto-clutch. If you plan on constant 65mph driving you may want to go to a 15 tooth front sproket. Just my 2 cents.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PoorComa

Posted May 02, 2008 - 03:57 PM

Thank you guys for all the info and suggestions!

I am definitely going to be getting some good boots this time around since I'm lucky to still have my feet after my last crash (8 surgs later), they're not pretty but they still work and I have all my toes still!

It seems that every thread a read someone is saying "change the oil", is the oil change interval a lot shorter on these bikes versus street bikes? How often should you change it? I do do my own maintenence so it won't be an issue, first on the list is chain/sprocket.....I would like to gear it better for the road so I'm pretty sure I want to go up in the front and down in the back, just not sure how many.....what's stock?

As for the exhaust, I was glad that it's stock because I would like it to not be any louder than need be. I am usually after performance and exhaust would be one of my first mods but man, every dirtbike exhaust I've heard is just obnoxiously loud! If i could get some good flow and low sound output that would be ideal.

Thanks again guys!

-Kevin

• Birdy426

Posted May 02, 2008 - 05:04 PM

The stock YZF exhaust with a Pro-Moto Billet end cap/spark arrestor/quiet insert is considerably quieter than your uncorked stock WR pipe (I can actually hear intake noise) and makes a really worth while performance boost. Stock YZF pipes can be had on e-Bay for 25-50 bucks, the PMB end cap is about a buck-twenty, and the quiet insert is about another 30.

I change my oil after every weekend of riding, which works out to about every 250 or so miles. Some will say it's overkill, but for me, it's cheap insurance.

• PoorComa

Posted May 02, 2008 - 05:07 PM

The stock YZF exhaust with a Pro-Moto Billet end cap/spark arrestor/quiet insert is considerably quieter than your uncorked stock WR pipe (I can actually hear intake noise) and makes a really worth while performance boost. Stock YZF pipes can be had on e-Bay for 25-50 bucks, the PMB end cap is about a buck-twenty, and the quiet insert is about another 30.

I change my oil after every weekend of riding, which works out to about every 250 or so miles. Some will say it's overkill, but for me, it's cheap insurance.

Quieter and better performance, as well as less weight?!? Damn, that's something I'll definitely be looking into! I love forum knowledge.

:eek:

• PoorComa

Posted May 03, 2008 - 01:41 PM

What bike and what year should I look for the exhaust off of? I really just need the can right? Or should I look for the header as well?

Thanks,
Kevin

• Birdy426

Posted May 03, 2008 - 02:42 PM

What bike and what year should I look for the exhaust off of? I really just need the can right? Or should I look for the header as well?

Thanks,
Kevin

98-99 YZ400F or 00-02 YZ426F are all pretty much the same from the mid-pipe aft. Yes, all you really need is the can, but if you find an 00-02 426 header for a good price, pick that up, too. It bends a bit different so that you don't have to loosen the header to change the oil filter.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.