Bike run's better after swamping.....?!?

3 replies to this topic
  • markvan

Posted May 01, 2008 - 10:12 AM

2000 yz426. Just wondering what would cause my bike to actually run better after being completely submerged. After tipping the bike up vertically, draining out the water as best as possible through the pipe, and then towing for a while until I can get it running again, it feels much snappier, much more crisp throttle response. This only lasts for a couple short minutes and then it goes back to it's normal slower self.

I have noticed the same thing before when riding through some extremely swampy, deep mud. That time the bike was not submerged but died when going through deep water/mud. The carb was submerged in water at times, but no significant amounts of water was getting into the air box. Took over an hour of kicking, finally got it running and same thing, great power for a few minutes, and then back to normal. I have since properly set up t vents on the carb lines, and no longer have a problem of the bike dieing in deep water.

That being said, I feel that how the bike normally runs, is not what it should be, I am lacking the power that this bike should have. I had the valves, seats and guides done, as well as new rings put in, with out much difference, still not near what it should be. This has got to be something in the carb.... where should I start?

• bustersat

Posted May 01, 2008 - 05:28 PM

Check that you don't have an air leak at the hot start. Water might seal it up if only temporary. Check to see if it is running lean, adjust the jetting. Just some ideas, hope they help! good luck!:eek:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BergArabia

Posted May 01, 2008 - 06:28 PM

Check that you don't have an air leak at the hot start. Water might seal it up if only temporary. Check to see if it is running lean, adjust the jetting. Just some ideas, hope they help! good luck!:eek:

Makes sense:ride:

• Ga426owner

Posted May 02, 2008 - 04:49 AM

You may want to check the condition of your engine oil. It may be mixed with water and grey color. Where is your breather tube located?

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.