2003 YZF's

30 replies to this topic
  • SFO

Posted May 11, 2002 - 03:32 PM

Originally posted by XR6's rule:
Now that Yamaha has had their "flash in the pan" sales success, the time will soon come where Honda release their road legal CRF and regain the top spot they held for..um how long was it?....yeah 14 years with the XR6 and XR4. :)

And, what came before that?
I pitty you if you are old enough to remember the TT-500!
The Bell xl-350's ripped but the TT-500 was the standard.
An Kenny won many nationals on a TT-500 based dirtracker.
The Yamaha TT-500 was the four-stroke open motor before the reign of the XR.
I thought also that Yamaha sold more bikes last year than the big H, BTW.

• mattwayne

Posted May 11, 2002 - 05:36 PM

yamaha.dude:

I must say, you're response was very quality. I appreciate an articlate, well thought out reply such as your's that depicts fact from fiction, and spells out the correct option for each individual. I am a honda guy myself, but i must say most honda people are blindly favorable to thier' machines, and are rarely able to see the real truth. If you were not a few continents over, we could ride. peace

• John_Curea

Posted May 11, 2002 - 05:50 PM

Just a rumor.... :) :D

Posted Image

• XR6's_rule

Posted May 11, 2002 - 11:03 PM

It just so happens that I now own a Yamaha!! A '99 WR4 to be precise and I have owned this bike for about 2 months. When I purchased it, it had done approx 12 rides and the gearbox threw in the towel three rides later! $800 (aus) dollars later the gearbox rebuilt with new 3rd/5th gears & selectors, but I'm a little disapointed, especially when my 2000 XR4 covered over 17,000 kms (or 11,000 miles) without missing a beat. Don't tell me your the Yamaha YZ/WR's are bulletproof!! :)

• XR6's_rule

Posted May 11, 2002 - 11:09 PM

...and another thought for the day. Even though Yamaha released their "world beating" WR/YZ's in 1998, it wasn't until 2000 that they finally took the number one spot for registered bikes in OZ. That leaves a 2.5 year reign for Yamaha at best. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sabin

Posted May 12, 2002 - 01:15 AM

It just so happens that I now own a Yamaha!! A '99 WR4 to be precise and I have owned this bike for about 2 months. When I purchased it, it had done approx 12 rides and the gearbox threw in the towel three rides later! $800 (aus) dollars later the gearbox rebuilt with new 3rd/5th gears & selectors, but I'm a little disapointed, especially when my 2000 XR4 covered over 17,000 kms (or 11,000 miles) without missing a beat. Don't tell me your the Yamaha YZ/WR's are bulletproof!! :)

Well guys to be honest I get scared when read the maintenance intervals and scheduler that the WR needs. Compared to my XR6 it seems to me that I must spend more time servicing the bike than driving it. Does anyone ever follow it by the book? Do you really change the fork oil every 1000km(600m). And all those bolts and nuts retightening... nightmare !!!

• Manic

Posted May 12, 2002 - 06:14 AM

I personlly have a considerable amount of time on my 99 WR400 with no problems ( which seems to be the norm ). As far as the maintainance in manual goes, those are for race conditions, apparentlly Honda didn't think anyone would race the XR.
Also, do you really want to compare a XR400 to WR400. I don't think so.

• XR6's_rule

Posted May 12, 2002 - 07:16 PM

Actually if you ride both bikes, you'll find them comparable, given the right conditions. Obviously there is a gulf in power and the WR's suspension is better on fast hardpack or MX. But get the XR in tight, slippery or rocky (technical)conditions and you'll find it's the bike to have. :)

• arrow101

Posted May 13, 2002 - 05:19 AM

well i have to agree with you XR the WR wont do as many kays as the XR but honestly who would want to ride an XR now?? im a mechanic for a yam, kawa, honda, and a suzuki dealer so i ride pretty much all there is. we have had a CRF sittinf on the floor for 4 weeks now so dont be saying you cant get stocks in aus and their selling too fast to get. I have heard the 99's had weak 3rd gears but with at least a dozen in my town i havent done any rebuilds and my 98 is still going strong after 15-20 000 kays with a set of rings and a big end bearing. And yes an XR would still be going strong on those kays with original rings etc but they do half the revs, produce half the power have half the suspension ability. Great comuter bikes and still very capable bikes in the right hands. another point auto decomp sucks!!! many older 4 bangers had em and their a barstad to clear out when flooded, pull in the decomp 6 quick icks and 1 good one and away

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 13, 2002 - 10:51 AM

Don't tell me your the Yamaha YZ/WR's are bulletproof!!

Both of my WR's have been bulletproof.
Your XR400 is an old and tired design. Now be a good Honda owner and tell us it's better. Im guessing that you're going to tell us that the air cooled engine is way to go also.

:) DL

[ May 13, 2002: Message edited by: Dan Lorenze ]

• XR6's_rule

Posted May 13, 2002 - 08:38 PM

Here are some more points for you guys to consider-

1. The WR/YZ4 5th gear failures must have been serious..serious enough for Yamaha to make changes to the WR426's selectors for the year 2002 models! Two of the selectors I got when I rebuilt the gearbox in my '99 WR4 were "beefed up" compared to the originals.

2. I have recently visited three different Honda dealers surrounding the area that I live in and they all have the same strife with CRF's-can't get anywhere near enough for demand.

3. WR problems don't stop with the gearbox, I 've heard of plenty of WR's prematurely blowing fork seals (not just the early models). Yes, and there's also plenty of ra-ra about broken carb slide inserts. I don't need to tell you the untold damage this could cause....

4. Yes the WR is faster (but twice the horsepower come on!) Air-cooling might be dated, but it's maintenance-free and can't be smashed to smithereens by a slow get-off. That said, the higher powered bikes have liquid-cooling because of it's better cooling capacity.

:)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.