best of yz 400 wr 400

6 replies to this topic
  • slickrrr

Posted April 30, 2008 - 12:01 AM

been riding a yz 400 for past two years, came across a wr 400, street legal with super moto wheels, want to make the best bike out of the two and sell the difference, already have a set of dirt wheels,mostly riding trails in the phoenix area and riding more and more single track, want to keep the wide ratio tranny, overflow tank, street legal/lights not to mention the wr has been mostly street ridden, given that I have both bikes to choose from, what is the best combo, I have heard that there is a difference in suspension, what are they, no mechanic but I could definately swap the forks and rear suspension, any suggestions on what to keep from each bike, thanks

• 1998YZ400F

Posted April 30, 2008 - 09:29 AM

if you want the WR, you can swap the YZ cams in for a performance upgrade.

• grayracer513

Posted April 30, 2008 - 10:59 AM

if you want the WR, you can swap the YZ cams in for a performance upgrade.

Up until the '06 model WR's the only difference in the cams was the exhaust cam. The intake is the same in all of those years previous.

Additionally if you are not, or do not intend on using the auto decomp cam from a later model, you can simply retime the existing WR exhaust cam to YZ specs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slickrrr

Posted April 30, 2008 - 12:06 PM

but is the suspension the same on a 99 yz and 99 wr?

• grayracer513

Posted April 30, 2008 - 03:20 PM

No. The WR is generally softer sprung and valved.

• slickrrr

Posted May 01, 2008 - 09:26 AM

if you had the choice of yz or wr suspension which would you choose, yes I am asking for an opinion, been real happy with th yz so far

• grayracer513

Posted May 01, 2008 - 02:25 PM

YZ, of course.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.