Moose Magnetic Oil Plugs Question

12 replies to this topic
  • Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted November 18, 2002 - 03:14 PM

I purchased a Moose Mag oil plug and am finding it doesnt want to go in. I thread it in a little bit and find its binding, like the threads dont match. A long long time ago I thought I read something about the Moose plugs being having the wrong threads and not to use them. Any one else experience this?

• Fryboy

Posted November 19, 2002 - 08:11 AM

Yo Oatmeal !

How have you been doing? IMO - You shoulda bought a Zip Ty drain plug. Much better magnet and perfect fit. When are we goin riding again? We gonna have to meet 1/2 way or somethin. If not we'll have to wait to TT Ride #2 in May.

Take care T.0.P.
Fryboy

• Dodger

Posted November 19, 2002 - 08:19 AM

I cannot verify thread differences, sorry......

But I agree with Fryboy, return the moose and get the Zip Ty plug, thing has a crazy strong magnet on it......

Peace

Dodger :) :D

• Hick

Posted November 19, 2002 - 08:25 AM

Mine went right in.

They sell the same part for 250 smoker and 426, the latter needs to use the stock washer, not the one supplied by Moose.

Hope this helps.

• AZWR426

Posted November 21, 2002 - 03:55 AM

I talked with Ty Davis about 8 months ago regarding the different plugs. Turns out Ty uses a special magnet ( I'd know the name if I heard it). Bottom line Zip Ty Racings plugs are by far the best magnet and quality/fit has never been a problem. Also unless you want to be cryin' the blues about a stripped case from a bad drain plug I wouldn't mess with this one.

• MOmilkman

Posted November 21, 2002 - 04:37 AM

Pie,

When I bought my 99 I also bought a Moose plug and was expierencing the same problem. Thought it was a faulty plug so I took it back and exchanged it. Same problem with the next Moose plug.

Fast forward 3 years. Finally bought a Zip Ty plug and it threads right in and the magnet is da' bomb!

(I'm not sure why Moose is making plugs with the wrong size threads - but they are)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pedman

Posted November 21, 2002 - 07:17 AM

Who has the Zip Ty Plug? Any recommended companies? :)

• Bamster

Posted November 21, 2002 - 08:26 AM

There is a moose plug on the shelf of my local dealer I've
been eyeballing. Guess it's gonna stay there.
Thanks for the heads up.

• MOmilkman

Posted November 21, 2002 - 09:36 AM

Who has the Zip Ty Plug? Any recommended companies?

Pedman,

I just ordered mine straight for the man himself. Ty Davis.
TerryCable Web Site
Go to racing products - page 4

When i ordered mine I also got a couple of my buds in on it and ordered 3 at once. Saved on shipping.

• pedman

Posted November 21, 2002 - 10:17 AM

Thanks MOmilkman, appreciate the information. :)

• jwriott

Posted November 21, 2002 - 10:29 AM

Was it a Permanent, Rare Earth Magnet (Neodymium-Iron-Cobalt)?

How is the strength holding up over time? The only thing I've seen happen is that as the strength of the magnet increases, so does it's ability to resist demagnetization at temperature.

These magnets are incredibly strong. I used to design magnetic separators using them and we had a guy lose a finger between 2 magnetic rolls.

• AZWR426

Posted November 23, 2002 - 08:33 PM

It sounds familiar on the name, I'm not sure. But, the next time I have the plug out for an oil change I'll give it a test of sorts. I have never heard any compaints about a loss of strength though. Mark

• thelimey1

Posted November 29, 2002 - 04:08 PM

for those of ya'll who dont mind getting dirty, i can supply neodymium iron boron magnets (NdFeB)so you can make your own magnetic oil plug. it is cylindrical, measuring 1/4" across by 1/4" high. all you have to do is drill out the end of your oil plug to a depth of 1/4" and epoxy it in. caution is advised though, you cannot dry fit it. once it is in, you cannot remove it, unless there is enough of it sticking out where you can grab it with pliers. yes i know, the epoxy is kinda redundant, but id rather overdo it!! :) just test the depth with the drill bit itself. you cant really go wrong, the case is only 3/8" (or thereabouts) and the bolt is about 3/4" long. all you have to worry about is getting the hole drilled kinda centrally. they cost $2 each, with an additional $1 for shipping, and if you dont like it, ill give you your money back (less shipping)if you return it to me. either mail a check to phil, 83e 200n farmington utah 84025, or e-mail it via paypal, at this e-mail thelimey1@juno.com

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.