What Case Saver Prevented your Heartache

14 replies to this topic
  • YZ450Fahk

Posted April 29, 2008 - 01:26 PM

I did some searching on here to look for a case saver to put on my '07 YZ450F found a couple things, but not what I wanted.

What case savers have any of you used that have saved your case in a real situation? IE your chain broke and should have smashed a big hole in you case, but did not because of an after market case saver.

If not, what brands do you recommend?

Thank you!

• hyperlite33

Posted April 29, 2008 - 02:49 PM

My 426's flimsy stock case saver saved me...just gave the case some "love marks" but no holes.
It bent it pretty bad when the chain broke, so I got a T.M. Design case saver and fits perfect, made of delrin to slide easier and looks like it would protect a lot better than the stock one!

• tnl

Posted April 29, 2008 - 05:12 PM

My chain master link came off and wrapped around my stock case saver and it held up but it was bent up though and surprisingly the 2 bolt tabs that go into the case didn't break which would of split my case. I think it would of split my case open if the chain didn't also grab my shifter too. The chain then went to my shifter and used that for a can opener and had lunch.....Hundreds of dollars worth on that one. I don't like the design of the OEM one on my bike because of the skinny hook like ends which look like it gives the chain something to grab onto. Some people don't use them because of the possibility that the chain could grab it and pull it off which will split the case.

• YZ450Fahk

Posted April 30, 2008 - 05:21 AM

My chain master link came off and wrapped around my stock case saver and it held up but it was bent up though and surprisingly the 2 bolt tabs that go into the case didn't break which would of split my case. I think it would of split my case open if the chain didn't also grab my shifter too. The chain then went to my shifter and used that for a can opener and had lunch.....Hundreds of dollars worth on that one. I don't like the design of the OEM one on my bike because of the skinny hook like ends which look like it gives the chain something to grab onto. Some people don't use them because of the possibility that the chain could grab it and pull it off which will split the case.

Interesting! I defiantly need a new case saver. Just need to know which one will protect the best. I don't want to invest the $ and not have it do what its supposed to do...

• 2012 450 xc-w

Posted April 30, 2008 - 01:00 PM

I also run the TM and it looks like it would really work well.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 30, 2008 - 01:04 PM

Anyone want to post a pic of their bad@$$ case saver? Not a stocker

Posted April 30, 2008 - 01:17 PM

I had a TM on my '03 YZ450 when the chain went. I didn't see any damage to the case. I found a couple of extra links, fixed the chain with two master links and kept riding the rest of the day.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DrThumper

Posted April 30, 2008 - 01:57 PM

TOPAR. It's huge and made of billet aluminum. Saved my case twice now.

• aedwards07

Posted April 30, 2008 - 02:21 PM

I wasnt impressed with any of the ones I found on the market,so I decided to make my own.And I just happened to have access to a CNC machine :eek:

Dont have any close up pics of them but here is one on my bike.I PC'ed it red to look better.
Posted Image

Sorry for the crap pic.Im looking to find a better one in my photobucket account as I know there is one.

• grayracer513

Posted April 30, 2008 - 03:31 PM

The actual purpose of the gizmo commonly called a case saver is as a guide to keep the chain from lifting so far off the front sprocket that it derails, and to keep it centered if it lifts off slightly. It was not intended to fend off a broken chain, and while there are heavy duty versions made that probably could, the weak point in the concept is the mounting points on the case, as tnl mentioned. Having one is still more protection than not, but it's far more effective to apply preventive maintenance to the chain itself by buying a good one in the first place, keeping it lubed, the tension set right, and not running it in such a worn state that it becomes a risk to break.

• YZ450Fahk

Posted April 30, 2008 - 04:43 PM

TOPAR. It's huge and made of billet aluminum. Saved my case twice now.

Can you post a pic of yours? Do you have a problem with mud getting in it if the conditions are muddy?

• honda597

Posted April 30, 2008 - 10:52 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Here is what i run on my 08. Made by HAMMER HEAD, nice and beefy. After loosing the link retainer and damaging the case on the "07", i wont trust the standard case saver as it is junk.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3447 (Large).jpg
  • IMG_3448 (Large).jpg

• DrThumper

Posted May 01, 2008 - 02:04 PM

Can you post a pic of yours? Do you have a problem with mud getting in it if the conditions are muddy?

I don't have a picture handy, but heres the link.
http://store.toparra...ory_Code=YAMGCS
They call it a chain guard and it actually fits over the skinny little peice of metal they call a case saver. Never had a problem with mud in it. It gets caked, but it doesn't effect the chain's performance.

• MaxPower

Posted May 01, 2008 - 02:32 PM

[COLOR="Green"]I have seen chains bunch up under the "case saver" and break the case at the mounting holes.
It would be nice to have a 3rd mount [/COLOR]

• WB450

Posted May 02, 2008 - 10:25 AM

I wasnt impressed with any of the ones I found on the market,so I decided to make my own.And I just happened to have access to a CNC machine :applause:

Dont have any close up pics of them but here is one on my bike.I PC'ed it red to look better.
Posted Image

Sorry for the crap pic.Im looking to find a better one in my photobucket account as I know there is one.

You can hook me up with one of those if you want.:eek: Just like yours would be good.:p

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.