Using a WR450 on the ROAD

21 replies to this topic
  • thedktor

Posted April 29, 2008 - 02:55 AM

OK, so I'm not talking motorway use but an hour's blast round the local country lanes or a trip out to further-a-field trails.

My concern or question is whether the bike copes ok considering its tiny 1 litre oil capacity? There was a lot of fuss when KTM's EXC arrived on the scene and everyone was told not to use them for extended road use. Now I know the main concern was over the "thin" 5th and 6th gears but also the oil capacity, which from experience was around 1.5 litres ie 50% more than the WR!

Or am I worrying over nothing? Its a "new" 2006 model I have in case its relevant

Thanks

TD

• djv5

Posted April 29, 2008 - 03:32 AM

The WR does great on the road. I just got done with riding over 400 dualsport and street miles in the TN, NC, GA mountains and Deals Gap area.

Keep an eye on your oil level, and you will be fine. You may also want to look into some Maxxis ProMaxx tires for your stock 21/18" rims for street duty. And I am +1 on the front sprocket and can hit 100mph.

• tweav

Posted April 29, 2008 - 04:04 AM

I've done like 2000 miles on road with my 07 wr450 now . it does kill the rear tire and chains about every 1500 miles , but that is my supermoto setup . I change my oil at like 600 -700 miles . I do the daily ride to work on mine I have not had any trouble other then the normal wear items and rejetting .

Posted Image

Posted Image

• justbackitin

Posted April 29, 2008 - 08:10 AM

I just change the oil a lot. About every 500Km of highway or every two weeks. It only takes like 15 minutes to change to oil and filter anyways.
Posted Image

• martin450

Posted April 29, 2008 - 11:12 AM

I'm using a 15 front and a 38 rear sprocket for long road rides , it helps keep the revs down , and can cruise with the traffic easy , top end is faster than i wanna go and it sucks for power wheelies, but i guess its good for the engine ,
just my bit on the road riding :eek:

• face_plant

Posted April 29, 2008 - 01:06 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
9500 miles needed rings

• thedktor

Posted May 01, 2008 - 05:45 AM

OK, thanks all - seems like it will be fine then with regular oil changes. Can't wait to get the beast sorted and back on the road and trail!

TD

• ETP

Posted May 01, 2008 - 08:36 AM

OK, thanks all - seems like it will be fine then with regular oil changes. Can't wait to get the beast sorted and back on the road and trail!

TD

I remember reading something about the WR transmission not liking long time periods at one constant speed. You may want to use the search engine to learn more about this.

• dugabrams

Posted May 01, 2008 - 09:16 AM

I remember reading something about the WR transmission not liking long time periods at one constant speed. You may want to use the search engine to learn more about this.

I think it's the short skirt piston that doesn't like this.

The tranny may not be designed for street shifting without a cushdrive(it's a rubber gizmo between the sprocket and rim). I don't think this is a major problem either way, but could be if you have a street tire and shift very hard. I would think YZF and WRF supermoto racers would know for sure.

• mikeythefokker

Posted May 01, 2008 - 09:54 PM

An oil cooler would be a good idea for the sake of the motor, or one of the aftermarket radiator kits. A cool bike is a happy bike. Oh, and then also you can pound on it like there's no tomorrow.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roushxteam199

Posted May 02, 2008 - 02:18 PM

im buying a wr 450 tomorrow and im making it supermoto street legal. thats my whole purpose behind buying it. Nice bikes everyone i will have pics as soon as i get her tomorrow.

• Alternative

Posted May 03, 2008 - 06:43 AM

An oil cooler would be a good idea for the sake of the motor, or one of the aftermarket radiator kits. A cool bike is a happy bike. Oh, and then also you can pound on it like there's no tomorrow.

Actually road riding is a lot easier on the motor, and because of the high speed, low load situations the motor can run too cold. I've heard of several people who actually block one of their radiators off to get the bike up to temperature. The only situation where cooling can be an issue is in very slow traffic where there's almost no air flow over the radiators. Some people rig up electric fans to help with this.

• justbackitin

Posted May 04, 2008 - 07:39 AM

Yea, I block off about a third of my rad surface area on my street wr. I have one of those factory effects heat sensing stickers. Under any normal conditions on the road the motor stays very cool (like less that 60C). The only time it gets warm is cruising through trails in the dirt.

• roushxteam199

Posted May 04, 2008 - 05:32 PM

my friend on his ktm 560 supemoto has a vapor computer. tell speed,tech, coolant temp and outside temp. Im prob going to buy one.

• Lennie

Posted May 05, 2008 - 12:18 AM

OK, so I'm not talking motorway use but an hour's blast round the local country lanes or a trip out to further-a-field trails.

am I worrying over nothing?

Dont worry about it

• MaxPower

Posted May 05, 2008 - 12:38 AM

my friend on his ktm 560 supemoto has a vapor computer. tell speed,tech, coolant temp and outside temp. Im prob going to buy one.

[COLOR="Green"]I have an Acewell unit that Electrosport sells.
I strongly do not recommend this speedo/tach /tepm gauge
I am not happy with the function and even more with the customer service dept when there was a problem with it. I should have spent less on the Vapor and been as satisfied as everyone else[/COLOR]

• tweav

Posted May 05, 2008 - 02:56 AM

I know I like my vapor on my 07 wr450 . I tells me when my bike it getting hot in traffic . and all the points can be set where I want them . My bike does get hot in city traffic . I think a fan would help.

• MotoGoalie

Posted May 05, 2008 - 09:16 AM

Posted Image

Where did you get those graphics. I NEED those.:eek:

• face_plant

Posted May 05, 2008 - 10:02 AM

i also have a vapor, it just dont like soil samples
i have the temp sensor in the out side
i usually run 135-150 degrees
and also use engine ice

• jams229

Posted May 05, 2008 - 10:57 AM

FWIW, for any real road riding, the bike suffers due to the T.P.S. (throttle position sensor.) Some people have had success tinkering with it. I have not messed with it. When I connect trails with road sections, the surging at around 55-60 miles per hour is quite annoying. Other than that, I would not worry about oil capacity. Leave that to the Honda CRF450X owners...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.