maintenance intervals??

4 replies to this topic
  • SAGringo

Posted April 28, 2008 - 08:14 PM

i've got an 08 yz 450 i picked up in january. i put an hour meter on it before ever lighting it up and i'm up to 32 some odd hrs. what should i be planning to do here shortly? i haven't bothered to do anything other than oil changes every 3-4 hrs. haven't even checked the valves yet because it still starts easily. when should i check/shim the valves, do the top end, replace the valves? also any info or estimations on the clutch, and suspension service intervals would be killer. if it helps/matters, i ride quite a bit and race (off road A) twice a month. thanks.

• rickallen124

Posted April 28, 2008 - 09:07 PM

I'd rebuild the suspension at somewhere around 10hrs initially due to the parts breaking in and contaminating the oil and then again every 30hrs or so. So bushings seals and fluids at the very least for the suspension. Might check the clutch plates. I also go through the bike and grease all of the bearings every 15hrs just to keep it fresh.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rufusz

Posted April 29, 2008 - 12:31 AM

If I only use my 02 426 for enduro (not racing, just going around in the woods), how much can I extend the service intervals? Racing/MX puts a lot more of stress on every part of the bike...

• 426 NOOB

Posted April 29, 2008 - 12:38 AM

If I only use my 02 426 for enduro (not racing, just going around in the woods), how much can I extend the service intervals? Racing/MX puts a lot more of stress on every part of the bike...

I ride woods and change my oil in my 01 426 every 3 ride days. And a filter every 5-6. Filter is always still clean, but better safe than sorry. Id rather spend $9.00 on an oil change than $1800 on a rebuild.

• grayracer513

Posted April 29, 2008 - 06:28 AM

I'd rebuild the suspension at somewhere around 10hrs initially due to the parts breaking in and contaminating the oil and then again every 30hrs or so. So bushings seals and fluids at the very least for the suspension.

I don't see the need for that. The bushings were fine on my oldest '06 when I did the seals 6 months ago, and the seals lasted over a year. But it is a good idea to dump the OEM fluid early.

Re-grease the steering head and linkage immediately with a water resistant, moly bearing EP grease. Your dealer might have done this ( I know a couple that do ), but don't count on it, and the factory grease is sparingly applied, to be polite.

As far as valves go, check them now for reference, then again at 10 and 20 to see if any of them settle into the seats, then after that, every 10 ride days, give or take. Shim them when they need it, which may or may not happen as long as you own it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.