moab setup?

12 replies to this topic
  • cb450

Posted April 28, 2008 - 07:24 PM

I am going to moab in a couple of days, I just uncrated my '07 wr450. I have unplugged the grey wire, removed exhaust restrictor and snorkel, and put in gytr throttle stop. It's still very snowy where I live so I haven't gotten a chance to ride yet. Is my bike going to run alright in moab with these mods and the stock jetting?

• clark4131

Posted April 29, 2008 - 06:19 AM

You might get away with it given the higher altitude and lean stock setting, but you really should jet it properly...SC

• cb450

Posted April 29, 2008 - 06:42 AM

I will jet it correctly for 10,000 feet and up where I live when we melt out. But I am glad to hear that I can ride it this weekend. I don't have time to work on it before I leave and I sure would hate not to able to ride.

• kskyles

Posted April 29, 2008 - 09:44 AM

i'd get some bark busters and a skid plate too. those rocks can be unforgiving.

• whacker99

Posted April 29, 2008 - 06:22 PM

Awesoe you are going to Moab my friend and I will be there on May 1...my 3rd trip there it is aweosme.

my bike is 2005 Wr450...FMF pipe with the power bomb header and titanium midpipe, all the usual mods air box grey wire pollution stuff etc.

I run a #70 starter jet, 150 Pilot Jet, 168 Main Jet and the needle is set up on the third ring from the top (Gytr needle), also run the Boysen Accelerator pump cover. If the bike is running lean or rich I adjust the fuel mixture and that does the trick.

My friend last year got a new 07 wr450 when we went to Moab he did the same mods as yourself and he left the jetting stock...with zero problems ....

Have fun and yes I run the Utah Sport crash guard on the bottom of my WR...needed if you are a little crazy!!!

B

• cb450

Posted April 29, 2008 - 07:12 PM

got the bash guards and skid plate. glad to hear that it will run since it's in my truck loaded and ready to go.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr_matt

Posted April 29, 2008 - 11:11 PM

What tires are you planning on running...? last time I was there (many,many,many moons ago) soft knobby tires just melted on the coarse rock.

• flames3891

Posted April 30, 2008 - 01:07 PM

Wow, interesting. I have a possible job opportunity in moab and have been considering it. I was born in SoCal (Rancho Cucamonga), lived in east Tennessee (Johnson City/Elizabethton) bout the other half of my 24 yrs, currently in phoenix and wondering what it's like there?? Know there's dirt riding which I like that idea. I'm single and free to wonder, should I go for it?? :eek: :applause: :p

• flames3891

Posted April 30, 2008 - 01:09 PM

Wow, interesting. I have a possible job opportunity in moab and have been considering it. I was born in SoCal (Rancho Cucamonga), lived in east Tennessee (Johnson City/Elizabethton) bout the other half of my 24 yrs, currently in phoenix and wondering what it's like there?? Know there's dirt riding which I like that idea. I'm single and free to wonder, should I go for it?? :eek: :applause: :p

sorry for the threadjack, but really you already got your answer. :ride: Just figured it would work to throw that in there considering it was kinda on topic. Thanks for any input!

• moabwalker

Posted April 30, 2008 - 01:57 PM

I'd advise you take a trip to check that job out. I've been lucky enough to travel the southwest with my yamaha and Moab has some of the most incredible riding you will ever find.

• whacker99

Posted April 30, 2008 - 06:01 PM

I run the 140's in the M5B tire....it grips extremely well on the slickrock and great in the sands too.....

have zero problems with the width...lots and lots of power to turn the lugs!!!

Have fun and be real safe.....

• cb450

Posted May 04, 2008 - 02:29 PM

Had a great time in moab. I just ran the stock tires. I did some dirt road riding to break the bike in and then rode some trails. The jetting seemed to be really close. I have to get rid of that ais, the lean pop is horrible when I let off the throttle

• longfellow628

Posted May 07, 2008 - 04:41 PM

has anyone road the 5 miles of hell by moab?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.