bike wont turn over

16 replies to this topic
  • motoxxx08

Posted April 28, 2008 - 02:45 PM

just changed the oil on my 426. Rode it for about a mile, it stalled and now wont start. If i put too much oil in will it cause it to not start. My dip stick is very hard to read so i may have added too much or too little. Also i took out my air filter and sprayed it with air filter oil on the outside and the inside so it might of got in the engine could that be the cause? any info would be welcome:cry:

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 28, 2008 - 02:48 PM

Too much oil is better than too little. The easiest thing is just drain it and pour in the correct ammount, you don't even need the dipstick that way.

When you say it stalled; were you cruising down the road and it just quit, or did you stall it accidentally as in not enough throttle while taking off, etc..?

• motoxxx08

Posted April 28, 2008 - 02:55 PM

accidentally lol im not new to bikes just this one...and i put 1.7 in just like it said

• dirt_rider93561

Posted April 28, 2008 - 03:21 PM

Too much oil shouldn't make it not want to start. I know I over filled my RMZ and when I started it, is just came out of the crankcase vent tube. I don't know if the YZF is the same as the RMZ, but too much oil shouldn't cause the no start issue.

• motoxxx08

Posted April 28, 2008 - 03:26 PM

well that is good to know but what else could it be the bike is solid have ran it once a week for 2 months now ????? did it just give up lol

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 28, 2008 - 03:40 PM

Check the basics:

* Compression?
* Spark?
* Fuel?

If you've got all 3 of the above then it should fire. Without more info there's nothing more to suggest?

• motoxxx08

Posted April 28, 2008 - 03:44 PM

o ill check the plug and there is gas lol but how do i check the comp if i dont pull the decomp lever it wont budge is that the way to check if u got compression? thanks

• dirt_rider93561

Posted April 28, 2008 - 03:48 PM

So you could still kick the motor over, but it wouldn't start?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BRYANS01

Posted April 28, 2008 - 03:50 PM

in the tittle you said it wont turn over is it locked up? or just wont start, if you just sprayed filter oil all over the inside and outside of the filter my money is on a fouled spark plug these bike hate any oil on them try a new plug bet it starts first kick.

• dirt_rider93561

Posted April 28, 2008 - 03:54 PM

To check the compression you would need a compression tester. Check the color of the plug and wether it is wet or not. Report back your findings.

• BRYANS01

Posted April 28, 2008 - 04:03 PM

to check compresion on a fourstroke you would be better off with doing a leakdown test, do a search on it youll find out how to do it, start with the easy stuff first dont over think this.

weather it looks wet or not just replace it these 426s have weak spark anyways.

• BASSic

Posted April 28, 2008 - 04:06 PM

You mentioned you "took out your air filter and sprayed it with air filter oil on the outside and the inside."

Did you work the filter oil into the foam with your hands and squeeze out the excess? If you don't get excess oil off of your filter, it can get sucked into your carb and clog it. Since these problems happened right after you oiled the filter, your carb may need to be cleaned.

Also when using the spray type air filter oil, you need to let the filter hang for at least 15 minutes or more for the solvent to completely evaporate. If you just sprayed the filter oil and put the air filter back on immediately, the oil can easily get sucked off the filter and into your carburetor.

• BRYANS01

Posted April 28, 2008 - 04:14 PM

+1 bassic

• motoxxx08

Posted April 28, 2008 - 04:39 PM

hey thanks guys on all the help i will see about the carb in the next couple days my bike was left in a friend of mines garage cuz i didn't feel like lifting the beast up in my truck after lugging it 2 miles up a creek bed and over hills(really lol) so i cant check on these things right this sec but thanks none the less i will get all of these things checked out and repost asap TYTY
ps yes dirtrider it will crank like it wants to start but just wont

• 1998YZ400F

Posted April 30, 2008 - 09:35 AM

it seems to have compression if you cant budge the kick starter without the decompression lever. spark plug first guess, dirty carb next

• Ga426owner

Posted April 30, 2008 - 01:03 PM

A freshly oiled filter needs to set up. This can take up to 1 hr and you need to work the oil into the filter not just spray it on. You probably just fouled a plug by not letting the oil set up correctly. If you change the plug and it still won't fire....clean the carb. If this still has no effect....ask yourself When was the last time the valves were checked...........:eek:

• grayracer513

Posted April 30, 2008 - 03:22 PM

A freshly oiled filter needs to set up. This can take up to 1 hr ...

You'd be wise to give it at least 4 hours. Some liquid oils take much longer. Mine hang out for 24 hours before I install or bag them.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.