Fresh 426 motor not starting easy

No replies to this topic
  • jfreadman

Posted April 28, 2008 - 02:20 PM

The bike engine has finally been rebuilt. I’m finally back to riding, and need some advice with its setup. Before I ignorantly ignored my cam chain stretching the bike was running great. The throttle response was strong from the bottom to the top with no hesitation. I credited the response to the power now, installed to get back some of the bottom end grunt lost with the YZ 450 EX cam.
I made the assumption that if I left my carburetor alone and simply put it back on a fresh motor. The beast would be back. She has the dreaded hesitation off of the bottom and doesn’t want to start. Bumping the pilot up and installing the O ring mod cleaned up some of the hesitation, but was awful to start unless I turn up the idle high.
What can I do for the starting problem? “Will start with a slightly cracked throttle”

O ring mod in conjunction with the BK mod? “recently installed the O ring mod”
I have RedBeard450’s AP Mod How to Guide and this doesn’t look like a fully applicable mod to my 426.

Will the carb need a little tweaking once the motor breaks in.

02 WR426
160 MAIN
Skinny YZ needle “I would have to pull for number”
CLIP # 2
Grey cut / Yz throttle stop / Uncorked / O RING MOD / BK MOD / POWER NOW / HOT CAM EX (for the decompression ) sea level to 1000’

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.